Interesting speedo chip claim

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

missfixit70
Supreme Being

Interesting speedo chip claim

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Speedo converter to convert your Mazda Bongo from KPH to MPH. The converter also delimits the engine which will give you extra top end.
Really?

From here - http://www.mazdabongoshop.co.uk/Shop/Miscellaneous.html
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Interesting speedo chip claim

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Dunno about the Bongo leckies .. but chipping the speedo on The Toyota Estima range throws the ECU out of sync. for the gearbox..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 pm

missfixit70 wrote:
Speedo converter to convert your Mazda Bongo from KPH to MPH. The converter also delimits the engine which will give you extra top end.
Really?

From here - http://www.mazdabongoshop.co.uk/Shop/Miscellaneous.html
Seems unlikely to me, as the older diesel engine doesn't have an ECU (don't know about the newer ones #-o ) - perhaps it makes the 2 litre into a V6 :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Strange ... I would have thought even the Bongo Diesels auto box would have an electronic control unit / sensors that takes pulses from the cars speedo ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:Strange ... I would have thought even the Bongo Diesels auto box would have an electronic control unit / sensors that takes pulses from the cars speedo ..
Will gearbox ECU give extra top end power? - it usually requires an engine ECU.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:49 pm

£55 they are having a giraffe

Some imports are restricted, usualy the roadsters like mx5 and its the same chip so thats where they get that from
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:15 pm

As well as from crappy auto fluid .. 'Temperamental' gearbox changes have been attributed to having a speedo converter chip for the MPH / Mileometer on some Japanese motors
nigelgibson
Tribal Elder

Post by nigelgibson » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:26 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:As well as from crappy auto fluid .. 'Temperamental' gearbox changes have been attributed to having a speedo converter chip for the MPH / Mileometer on some Japanese motors
Absolutely right i've had one !!

i was getting problems with hold light flashing and gearbox not changing up quickly enough.

did the wire bypass test on the ecu in passenger footwell to read the code and rung a chap in devon whose number i got from here [ or bf ] and he said it would nearly certainly be the chip. He told me some chips have 4 wires [ useless ] but they should have 5 and the fifth one goes to the gearbox. This one is a ***** to fit it seems and often gets left unwired.

Consequence is gearbox still thinks its working in kms when signals are now in miles. bongo is doing 40 mph and needs 4th gear but gearbox thinks its 40 km so doesn't want to change up ! [ that is roughly how i understood it ]. Needless to say i looked and good old Algy's who had done the chipping hadn't connected the 5th wire [ too much trouble i guess] - i had chip taken off - problem solved.
Rhinoman
Bongolier

Post by Rhinoman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:04 pm

From what I remember the diesel ECU takes the signal from the gearbox and then outputs a modified signal to the speedo. The chip should be between the ECU and the speedo or it is going to mess up the gear change settings.
1995 Ford Freda, 2.5TD, auto, AFT, side conversion.
BongoMTBer

Post by BongoMTBer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:59 pm

A load of guff!

The only thing that limits the Bongo top end is the brick-like aerodynamic qualities and how long you have before it empties the tank.

...IMHO! :D
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:09 pm

They are confusing bongos with other imports - certainly subaru's are sometimes limited( to 112kph I think), and a chip does delimit them. However, it doesnt apply to a bongo, and I certainly had problems with the only bongo I ever used a chip on :shock: .
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:22 pm

My observations where more to do with running problems than it being a 'super performance chip' ..
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:44 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:My observations where more to do with running problems than it being a 'super performance chip' ..
Hey, & if one was fitted..?!! :idea: Regardless of the truth in the claim, it could cause problems with an insurance payout/validity of premium??? :idea: :-k
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
gasace
Bongolier

Post by gasace » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:37 am

I had an imported MX5 a few years ago, this had a limiter it was not hard to tell, as the speed climbed, the power would reduce, very scary when overtaking or even joining a motorway. I disconnected the feed from the speedo printed circuit by removing the screws on the back of the speedo. Made a big difference to the car's performance. The speedo was not chipped, it had a new face, in fact I think it still had a cable driving it, not electronics. It was several years ago. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that if the Bongo had a limiter, you would know straight away!
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:21 am

Japanese Domestic Market cars are limited to 180kph or 112mph and there are universal chips around which do delimit JDM vehicles to perform to maximum ECU specs, needless to say speedo's often need new faces to read for the higher speeds and it is well known for Japanese tuners to use these chips (and remove them at MOT time) :-" Several are available and some are "plug n play" types

Going back to this chip.....it could be one of those which do delimit as well as convert kmh/mph, but It wouldn't be much, if any, use for a Bongo
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Techie Stuff”