Water Marks on Windows

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

timjonz
Bongonaut

Water Marks on Windows

Post by timjonz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:23 am

After washing my Bongo I am always left with water marks on the glass, I have never tried to clean them until this week end. I washed as usual then to remove the water marks I tried windolene but the marks are still there. :roll:
Is there a way of removing them?
Tim
rita
Supreme Being

Re: Water Marks on Windows

Post by rita » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 am

timjonz wrote:After washing my Bongo I am always left with water marks on the glass, I have never tried to clean them until this week end. I washed as usual then to remove the water marks I tried windolene but the marks are still there. :roll:
Hi Tim,do you have tinted windows(film)??

Cheers..
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:54 pm

rita wrote:
timjonz wrote:After washing my Bongo I am always left with water marks on the glass, I have never tried to clean them until this week end. I washed as usual then to remove the water marks I tried windolene but the marks are still there. :roll:
Hi Tim,do you have tinted windows(film)??

Cheers..
I was thinking the same Rita~~if they are tinted,as apposed to factory glass,could be condensation between the tint & the glass especially after washing them.
Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
roofraisers
Bongolier

Post by roofraisers » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Our Bongo had water marks on the outside of the glass when it came from Japan, it looked like salt water but it wasn't.
The windows were not factory tinted, but we have now made them tinted with an after market tint on the inside.

We tried all kinds of window cleaners but in the end I rubbed them with very fine wire wool covered in "Bar Cleaners Friend" powder.
I don't think the wire wool actually did the cleaning but it was more down to a "chemical reaction" clean so I guess a fine plastic scourer would do the same job.
The paint work was thoroughly cleaned afterwards in case there was an unwanted knock on effect!

I have only done one side to compare the results & the difference is very noticeable in the wet/ drying process.
I have noticed this water mark effect on a few other Bongos & I did wonder whether it was down to volcanic ash being present in the atmosphere & binding to the glass over time.

Nigel
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 pm

Or you could try using a clay bar detailing kit... A decent claying even removes overspray from lacquer!
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
timjonz
Bongonaut

Post by timjonz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:42 am

The windows are factory fitted darkened glass. The marks are definateley on the outside. The volcanic ash theory sounds plausable. Might give the clay bar or bar cleaners friend a go. I guess it will take alot fo elbow grease too
Tim
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:59 am

Could also be a fine film of tree sap which has been concentrated where the water has stayed on the van when washed (then dried in the sun). Do you chamouis the van after washing? Sounds like a bit of elbow work may do the trick for you. let us know how you get on.
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:40 am

I had a similar problem with the patio doors on my house. Travelled alot this year and hadn't cleaned them in ages, With all the hard rain the lower half of the windows had what I could only describe as limescale stains on them. Nothing would shift it.

In the end I used a light coating of Viacal (pretty harsh bathroom limescale remover), making sure I didn't get any on the rubber seals or the window frame etc.

After about 5 mins it had completely removed the marks.

If you do use something like this be very very careful not to get it on the paint or anthing else, and I'd test a small area first !! Remove as much as possible with paper towel before giving it and the car below it a very good wash and rinse.

I would be trying T cut, claying etc first though I must admit.

Good luck and be patient.

Andy
roofraisers
Bongolier

Post by roofraisers » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:44 pm

I did try Meguiares clay kit on the exterior glass & that didn't do a lot, apart from get me sweating & cursing at the lack in change of appearance.
The wire wool wasn't entered into lightly but if you use really fine (grade 0000) there is no scratching, it's like slightly rough cotton wool!!

Nigel
jutwit
Bongolier

Post by jutwit » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:06 pm

have you tried cillit bang, works on everything else on the planet!!!!!!!
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Post by cheffy34 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:26 am

bigdaddycain wrote:Or you could try using a clay bar detailing kit... A decent claying even removes overspray from lacquer!

I have tried telling the missus big D but she no listen :D
All disclaimers count as i know nothing
BUY A V6er i like my affair with the petrol pump
Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Post by Cosmic Bus » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:49 am

microfibre cloth moistened with white vinegar could be worth a shout.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:18 pm

roofraisers wrote:I did try Meguiares clay kit on the exterior glass & that didn't do a lot, apart from get me sweating & cursing at the lack in change of appearance.

Nigel
Did you find that there was a lot of "drag" and then the drag reduced with claying? If so, you have removed a lot of contaminants (be they visible or not). :wink:

Don't get me wrong... Claying the windows is HARD WORK! And the improvements aren't always immediately visible.. but trust me..You have saved yourself plenty of graft in the future by turning the glass into a blank canvas...They will be much easier to clean in the future with all that muck cleaned from them. :wink:
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:21 pm

cheffy34 wrote:
bigdaddycain wrote:Or you could try using a clay bar detailing kit... A decent claying even removes overspray from lacquer!

I have tried telling the missus big D but she no listen :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
roofraisers
Bongolier

Post by roofraisers » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 pm

BDC,
When I did the window claying, there was a lot of "drag" initially & it did get less, but after an age these marks were still visible.
I mixed "Bar Keepers Friend" powder into a thick paste & rubbed it over the glass in a circular motion & then left it on to soak in for maybe 15 mins & then gave the glass another circular rub before rinsing off thourghly. I think my window marks were removed by the "chemical reaction" rather than with the brute force of the wire wool, hence I say you shoud be able to use a nylon/plastic type scourer or a stiff cloth.

Nigel

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”