Camping and Caravan Club

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

Aethelric
Bongolier

Camping and Caravan Club

Post by Aethelric » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:49 pm

We went up to Glencoe last weekend and booked into the Camping and Caravan club site.

First issue was "Sorry, hard standing only - club rules" OK - no windshield then, and as I don't have fancy pegs, no awning.

Second issue was "You have to pay for the hook up"
"But I have no mains - I don't need it"
"Club rules - and its all I can do because of the computer."

Third issue was "£25 as you are not members"

Fourth issue was - now where to eat "There is a pub a couple of miles away, but we lock the gates at 11pm"
"But if I take the van I won't be able to get back in - its not like a caravan where I can leave the car in the car park and walk in"
"Club rules"
I had been thinking of joining too!

Next night we stayed at the red squirrel campsite in Glencoe - on the grass, awning up. Its a motorhome and tent only site. Nice and informal and no hassles.

BTW I had stayed at a Camping and Caravan club site in Moffat the week before (much better - on the grass with no hookup - but they did say they were bending the rules) and found I was entered onto their computer database.

Their sign says "The friendly club". Obviously not for wee motorhomes.
Harry
Supreme Being

Re: Camping and Caravan Club

Post by Harry » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:10 pm

We've been using C&CC sites for years but have stopped using club sites after a few unfortunate dealings with obstinate and rule bound wardens on what are what we consider very expensive sites even if you are a member.

Totall hidebound by rules until it comes to dealing with anti social behaviour and unruly, out of control children.

We are still C&CC members but now only use the club for the 'hideaway' sites.

We now use UK Campsites first when planning a trip away.

H 8)
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
Evil Edna
Bongolier

Post by Evil Edna » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:12 pm

Been a member for four years now and found them very friendly - Joined the Caravan club and only stayed once at a certified site which was awful! I think you'll find all Camping and Caravan club sites close their gates at 11pm, we always have a supply of beers and wine under the R&R bed 8) and cook so the driver (me!) can eat and enjoy a drink. Stayed at many of their sites, do agree though Glencoe a bit like a car park because of all the hard standings - the nature of the site, though Moffat site no probs parking on grass for us. Also because they give age concession to the over 55s it works out very cheap for us and the shower block etc is always top notch. Recently toured North wales staying at Llanystumdwy & Rhandirmwyn both beautiful sites for about 12 quid a night for van, us and hook up! =D> Do try another of their sites before dismissing them completely.
Edna
Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Links to my blog
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Can't comment on the sites you have visited, but you can have grass pitches without leccy on most sites and even with Hard stands you can opt out of leccy if you don't want it..... same applies to the Caravan club (although leccy is considered standard requirement for them) Been a member of C&CC for over 20 yrs and the only probs I have ever had is pitch sizes, some are a little snug [-X but I won't name the sites, however Hard stands are extremely generous on Caravan club sites.
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:47 am

We've been members for about three years and have used several sites. Only once have we had to have hard standing (it was very wet) and we've gone without ehu if we've requested it.
Although they may seem a tad expensive, the cost of a pitch on many independent sites has increased massively in recent times and the C&CC sites seem more affordable now, and you always get great amenities :D

Here's our pitch at Cheddar a couple of weeks ago.

daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:54 am

idetika wrote:
Here's our pitch at Cheddar a couple of weeks ago.

your jammed in a bit there :shock: :lol:
Lost without my Bongo.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:59 am

Yes we like Cheddar for some reason as well, we often make it our first stopping point, as its a convenient distance from home and we can have an early start the next day if moving on. Have you found Deer Leap Image
with Glastonbury Tor in the distance beautiful views in the morning, well worth a visit and a possibility for an overnight stop ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Going to Cheddar in August this year......but....to the Caravan Club site...it's walking distance from the centre of Cheddar itself......
We did the C&CC site a couple of years back....not a bad site at all and the Farm shop down the lane is superb for supplies...

idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:09 pm

mikexgough wrote:Going to Cheddar in August this year......but....to the Caravan Club site...it's walking distance from the centre of Cheddar itself......
We did the C&CC site a couple of years back....not a bad site at all and the Farm shop down the lane is superb for supplies...
...and the two pubs down the road are excellent!! 8) 8)
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:53 pm

Cheddar CCC was a little busier this weekend!...

Staff friendly, facilities (as usual) very clean, but bl**dy expensive for a small pitch. Lovely views and location, and the site was as quiet as a mouse when we arrived back from the pub. Had to creep back to the Bongo.

You know what you are getting with the CCC, but I can't help thinking they've lost the plot a bit with the prices.
Two tonne tin drum
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:30 pm

dvisor wrote:Cheddar CCC was a little busier this weekend!...

You know what you are getting with the CCC, but I can't help thinking they've lost the plot a bit with the prices.
I thought the price was high at that site, but when I checked....I found why...they are a Franchise site and also they are the most expensive Club site in the UK.... that's why this year I am using the CC site at Cheddar and saving £15 per night inc leccy....plus I can walk into Cheddar in 5 mins from the site

idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:10 pm

mikexgough wrote:
dvisor wrote:Cheddar CCC was a little busier this weekend!...

I thought the price was high at that site, but when I checked....I found why...they are a Franchise site and also they are the most expensive Club site in the UK.... that's why this year I am using the CC site at Cheddar and saving £15 per night inc leccy....plus I can walk into Cheddar in 5 mins from the site
Luckily, my kids broke up early from school this Easter and we were able to go in low season when kids go free.
Otherwise it would be a bit pricey and we probably wouldn't bother. :D
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:34 am

Although I can't comment on the C&CC sites that you have stayed at we are members and have stayed at a few of their sites over the last year. We have booked our pitch online and have normally managed to get grass pitches without electric. The wardens have always been friendly and helpful.
Bongo replaced by Wellhouse Terrier
Colin S

Post by Colin S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:17 pm

C&CC frozen their prices this year, so not all bad and cheaper than majority of private sites and the 6 meter rule is a lot better than you get on a lot of private sites, I pitched with an awning at a private site a couple of years ago and when I returned from a walk had guy ropes from a very large tent across front of vehicle. No prob for me just drove across them when they refused to move em, but all very unpleasant when tent collasped. Owner didnt give a monkeys.

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”