Bulb removal/replacement

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Duxass

Bulb removal/replacement

Post by Duxass » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Is there a simple way of removing/replacing the front bulbs (headlight/sidelight/indicator) on the 1999 2.5TD facelift Bongo with the all-in-one light unit, as opposed to the info in the factsheet on bulbs, which is for the earlier model.
It appears that the batteries (car and leisure) have to be removed to get to the indicator bulbs unless you have fingers like a gynaecologist maybe :?:
:wink: :^o
wormey
Supreme Being

Re: Bulb removal/replacement

Post by wormey » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Not sure, but I'd better have a look at mine for when the time comes, let me know if you find the info, :D
Daz and debs
Jaws
Bongolier

Post by Jaws » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:31 am

Gynaecologists use intruments BTW...
Live Bongo and prosper.
Duxass

Post by Duxass » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:33 pm

wormey wrote:Not sure, but I'd better have a look at mine for when the time comes, let me know if you find the info, :D

Will do. :| :!:
Duxass

Post by Duxass » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Jaws wrote:Gynaecologists use intruments BTW...

So that's why I've been getting all those funny looks :D :D :D
Duxass

Post by Duxass » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:06 pm

Has nobody had to replace their bulbs in the new shape 2.5TD :?: There must be an easier way than I described in my initial post on 14 November 2010:!: :!: :shock:
jimpearceuk
Bongolier

Post by jimpearceuk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Ahhhh this driving me crazy to - I want to replace the headlamp (candles) with xenon bulbs I have bought, and I can't get the bulbs out!! The headlamps are the easier ones to get to and I am still struggling. You try and pull the rubber boot out of the way and you can't see or feel well enough to release the wire clips.

I also have some LED replacements for the indicators, fitting them seems like a mission so I have moved onto making a life-size replica of the Eiffel tower with matches, it's a lot easier :)

If I can manage it I will document it for a "how to" - when I know how to that is!

Jim
Duxass

Post by Duxass » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:04 pm

jimpearceuk wrote:Ahhhh this driving me crazy to - I want to replace the headlamp (candles) with xenon bulbs I have bought, and I can't get the bulbs out!! The headlamps are the easier ones to get to and I am still struggling. You try and pull the rubber boot out of the way and you can't see or feel well enough to release the wire clips.

I also have some LED replacements for the indicators, fitting them seems like a mission so I have moved onto making a life-size replica of the Eiffel tower with matches, it's a lot easier :)

If I can manage it I will document it for a "how to" - when I know how to that is!

Jim
Hi Jim
Look forward to seeing your "how to" if and when you manage to get into these lights. :evil: As far as I can see, it is going to be a case of removing the whole light unit to undertake the task :? :?
Bob
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Does THIS help?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
jimpearceuk
Bongolier

Post by jimpearceuk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks Monkey, yes it helps - because it confirms that the wires and stick on the bulbs, which is what I thought ;( No matter how hard I pull they don't budge, don't want to break anything so going to bury my head in a bucket of sand for now!

cheers Jim
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:46 am

It would be way easier to remove the lights completely... Replace the bulbs, then re-fit the entire light units. By the time you have failed to fit none Japanese sized hands into the gap, and skinned your knuckles (especially painful in this cold) you could have whipped the entire light out. I had to remove both the headlights on my late model Ford Focus just to replace the bulbs yesterday,if i hadn't removed the lights, the engine would have had to come out! :shock:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Duxass

Post by Duxass » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:01 pm

bigdaddycain wrote:It would be way easier to remove the lights completely... Replace the bulbs, then re-fit the entire light units. By the time you have failed to fit none Japanese sized hands into the gap, and skinned your knuckles (especially painful in this cold) you could have whipped the entire light out. I had to remove both the headlights on my late model Ford Focus just to replace the bulbs yesterday,if i hadn't removed the lights, the engine would have had to come out! :shock:
Yep....I thought that would be the easiest in the long run, thanks for confirming it to me :) :)
Many thanks to all that contributed to this :) :)
Bob
jimpearceuk
Bongolier

Post by jimpearceuk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:44 pm

you reckon? cool - how do the headlamp units come out?

cheers Jim
Scott
Supreme Being

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:28 am

Its a little fiddly and you have to watch the plastic clips in the cold weather but this is how

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 7&start=15
The user formerly known as csmcqueen ;)

スコット

Return to “Techie Stuff”