Calais to Benidorm

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

tommywelly

Calais to Benidorm

Post by tommywelly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:11 am

Can anyone suggest a toll free route Calais to Benidorm using Aires, We intend taking 3 days for the journey, Usefull stops would be well received. We intend going in Feb.
Tommywelly
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: Calais to Benidorm

Post by mikexgough » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:53 am

Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
tommywelly

Post by tommywelly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:11 pm

Unfortunately I have a problem with English so I have no chance with French, it looks like a good link though
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:32 pm

tommywelly wrote:
Unfortunately I have a problem with English so I have no chance with French, it looks like a good link though
:? :? The route is in English :? :?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
tommywelly

Post by tommywelly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:00 pm

francophile1947 wrote:
tommywelly wrote:
:? :? The route is in English :? :?
Please excuse my warped sense of humour, I had not opened the for Fun link thank you for the info
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:00 pm

tommywelly wrote: I had not opened the for Fun link thank you for the info
That explains why I was confused :lol: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm

hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:58 pm

Handy link ready for next year is that Mike. =D>

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:28 am

Can I ask why you want to avoid the Toll routes? Remember that you can do a constant 80mph and the services are very regular as well.

I know it can be expensive, but against the cost of dropping speeds and hitting towns, cities etc it can be quite a good deal.

My best route would be

Calais - Rouen - Autoroute
Rouen - Evreux - Chartres - Orleans (FREE)
Orleans - Clermont Ferrand - Autoroute
Clermont Ferrand - Beziers - FREE AUTOROUTE - Except Millau Viaduct (Worth the money though of €7)
Beziers - Perpignan - Benidorm - Autoroute
tommywelly

Post by tommywelly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Nick65 wrote:Can I ask why you want to avoid the Toll routes? Remember that you can do a constant 80mph and the services are very regular as well.

I know it can be expensive, but against the cost of dropping speeds and hitting towns, cities etc it can be quite a good deal.

My best route would be

Calais - Rouen - Autoroute
Rouen - Evreux - Chartres - Orleans (FREE)
Orleans - Clermont Ferrand - Autoroute
Clermont Ferrand - Beziers - FREE AUTOROUTE - Except Millau Viaduct (Worth the money though of €7)
Beziers - Perpignan - Benidorm - Autoroute
Thanks for the info but we are not really in a rush to get there, we have allowed 60 days for the trip, (Insurance limit) and I never drive above 60mph in the Bongo
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:08 pm

Quite a lot of the Autoroutes have free bits (especially round the cities) but the Routes Nationale run generally parallel to the motorways so its easy to hop on/off the non toll bits if you want to. The French road atlases generally show the free bits.

Another possibility is Calais Rouen Alencon, Le Mans (slight diversion to drive down the Mulsanne straight and pretend you're doing 200mph) Tours, Poitiers (Futureoscope-brilliant) Bordeaux (Arcachon if you've got time-fabulous beaches) to Bayonne/Biarritz (most boring road in the world and has speed cameras) Hendaye and into Spain across the Western end of the Pyrenees, Pamplona Zaragoza Valencia and down the coast to Benidorm.

or, if you fancy more of the Pyrenees, from Bayonne head east to St Martory and then cut down through Andorra (fill your tank here, its unbelievably cheap) Barcelona and then down the coast.

Lots of French towns and villages have municipal sites or areas where you can park up overnight for free.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 pm

briwy wrote:
Another possibility is Calais Rouen Alencon, Le Mans (slight diversion to drive down the Mulsanne straight and pretend you're doing 200mph) Tours, Poitiers (Futureoscope-brilliant) Bordeaux (Arcachon if you've got time-fabulous beaches) to Bayonne/Biarritz (most boring road in the world and has speed cameras) Hendaye and into Spain across the Western end of the Pyrenees, Pamplona Zaragoza Valencia and down the coast to Benidorm.

Lots of French towns and villages have municipal sites or areas where you can park up overnight for free.

I like the Rouen to Bordeaux road (A28).....boring but so easy to get down to the Loire and beyond and worth the Toll

Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:55 pm

Thanks for the info but we are not really in a rush to get there, we have allowed 60 days for the trip, (Insurance limit) and I never drive above 60mph in the Bongo
What the hell - Go for it then :D :D :D :D
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:51 am

In all honesty, if you could get down to the A75 from Clermont Ferrand to Beziers, it is worth it - Beautiful views as you drive up and down over the volcanoes, and across Millau Viaduct, and lovely places to stop over night.

A nice hotel (Well I say nice, but I mean basic and comfortable) is at Issoire - Etap. It is next to a bowling alley and has a Buffalo Grill next door and is perfect for a good stop and a wonder around. Only 30 seconds from the autoroute and about 3 minutes from a supermarket that has excellent diesel prices.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:25 pm

Probably best to avoid Clermont Ferrand route as February is very snowy and the autoroutes can be shut down

I will now shut up and sit in a quiet room

Return to “Going Abroad”