Tribal Elder

how long and what youve had to do ?

Post by andyb36 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:17 pm

hi all

just wondered what the avarage owner ship of a bongo was

do peeps keep for an average of 1-2-3 years and get rid

1- because its getting older and risking breakdowns
2- upgrade to newer one
3- get rid because of known problems - lol not that a lot of peeps would own up - and im sure non are members of bf :!:

and what have you done mechanically wise - service etc

ill start her off

2.5 years owning

serviced with oil and filters every year clean mot,s each time

thats only oil and fuel filter and air

thats about it - i guess ive been pretty lucky

but i do get it checked when its in for a service

and ive prob only done 7k - 8k miles since owning

how about you ?????????????????????????????/

andy

:P
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Re: how long and what youve had to do ?

Post by bigdaddycain » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi Andy, 6 years ownership,done 45,000 miles in her during that time, passed all MOT's. No problems except a failed CV joint a few years ago, (blamed on a failed CV boot, which was ultimitley blamed on the acute angle of the drivesahfts due to lowered suspension) And i had a relay blow a few months ago, otherwise no problems! :D

I had new brake pads and discs fitted all round at the last service, plus the handbrake shoes. New fan belts and aircon belt,plus the usual bi-yearly filters/oil change.
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:08 pm

LOL - owned ours for 8 weeks, was the newer version, but we're exchanging for a new one on Friday as it had one problem after another :D
2 solonoids replaced
Turbo cleaned
A few other things too
Last edited by umbongocat on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love cheese!
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 pm

I've had mine 20 months and intend keeping it for ever (or until parts become impossible to source and the human race has forgotten how to fashion bits out of old saucepans and washing machines). I should add that I'm not one for changing cars without a very good reason - my first got sold after 6 years because a 1.0 litre petrol car wasn't very good at 500 mile round trips with luggage, I replaced it with a 1.5 diesel which I had for five years and would never have got rid of if I had not decided to go into business offering private guided tours and had to buy an MPV (a Multipla) which I kept for 9 years. If I had discovered the Bongo I'd have bought one instead. The Multipla had to go to make way for the Bongo and I have no reason now to believe that the Bongo will ever lose its usefulness as an all round family vehicle and we will keep it until it's irreparable.

At 12 years old it's still the baby of the fleet - my husband's infinitely less useful vehicles are 20, 38 and 41 years old respectively!!

Apart from having to replace the window switches which my 4 year old vandalised, and new tyres because the old ones were wearing thin, it's been plain sailing thanks to regular servicing by Allans in Plymouth. It's got almost 81,000 km on the clock (50,600 miles) of which we have done 25,000 km (15,600 miles).

You've started an interesting thread here (if anyone responds to it). I look forward to reading the other replies.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 pm

2 years this September....... 25,000 miles.... usual service parts....all MOT passes since in the UK (07) no advisories...... just a broken diesel pump and a split in the rad..... :wink:
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 pm

Alison01326 wrote:
Apart from having to replace the window switches which my 4 year old vandalised, and new tyres because the old ones were wearing thin, it's been plain sailing thanks to regular servicing by Allan in Plymouth. It's got almost 81,000 km on the clock (50,600 miles) of which we have done 25,000 km (15,600 miles).

You've started an interesting thread here (if anyone responds to it). I look forward to reading the other replies.
Sounds wonderful, I'm hoping our new one will be the same and we won't have the same probs as we've experienced in the past 8 weeks. I too have kept cars until they run to the ground and are no longer fixable. I had a 10 year old Peugeout 406 diesel with only 90,000 on the clock. It was fab and the only reason we've no longer got it and the bongo replaced it was because some "Idiot" rear ended us and wrote it off. Also had a diesel golf until last year that had 180,000 on the clock, but it died :(

Fingers crossed the bongo will go far :)
I love cheese!
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:23 pm

OK, V6 petrol, just over 2.5 years and just under 25k miles.

Usual service parts plus the following that were needed:
Camshaft oil seals and cambelt
Rear shocks
New throttle position sensor, failed soon after small coolant leak above (if that hadn't happened it would probably been fine).
New disty cap and rotor arm.

Bits I've changed that didnt' make much difference or weren't strictly needed:
Thermostat
HT leads

I don't want to sell the car in the foreseable future, it is just so versatile and dependable. I'm fussy with cars so tend to overdo it sometimes on maintenance but I'd rather know my car is as sorted as it can be and less likely to cause me issues later on.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:24 pm

I've found the bongo as reliable as any ford i've ever owned..That being pretty much faultless except service items :D My record was the 330,000 mile focus i sold on still with above 95% compression on each cylinde! If the bongo sees half that mileage i'll be happy! :D
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
wise-child
Bongolier

Post by wise-child » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:29 pm

Newbie here - had my Bongo almost 4m now - don't know how I managed without it!

Its been serviced once since then [as it was checked thoroughly on a 200+ point pre-sale check before I bought it and it sailed thru with ease.] MOT due this autumn, but it runs well and looks immaculate [when I scrape the never-ending supply of suicidal bugs off the front].

Only problem I've had is to replace a wiper blade and a blown fuse, so nothing too drastic!! I have managed to get a tow-bar fitted and tyres filled with Nitrogen so no major modifications. Must have a word with Cabte about some decals I have in mind tho and I have a longing to pimp it up with some purple neons underneath. :D

Since buying it I've clocked up about 4000 miles+ [it's my office on wheels/holiday home/children's taxi et al] and had a first holiday in it.

Getting rid - don't think so, unless it is written off as non-repairable or I can upgrade to one with a conversion I can't resist...
It's a wise-child that knows it's own parents.....
Alacrity
Tribal Elder

Post by Alacrity » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Last Bongo was a cheapy to see if it would 'fit the bill', a scruffy, rusty, tatty old girl (outside) but other than rear drop links & a few rear heater steel pipe leaks it ran like a gold watch for the 18 months I had it. Did about 8,000 miles in it.

Current one has had a rad split & has needed heater plugs but other than that has been a good car to date (11 months). Given most of my Bongo motoring is with a boat towed behind I am more than happy.

I have not included service items like brake pads, filters, cam belt & thermostat etc.

It's all to easy, when browsing this 'techie' section, to get the impression that they are troublesome cars, whereas the truth is they are no worse that any other vehicle of a comparable age - better than some. We have to remember that all we ever get in this section is trouble, that's what it's here for. People don't log on to say 'I don't have any problems' generally speaking.
35+ years working with autogearboxes - all day every day......for my sins
Pablobongo
Bongolier

Post by Pablobongo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Around 12-13 months of surprisingly trouble-free motoring so far (touch wood).

Necessities Replaced front and rear drop links, front and rear discs and pads and wiper blades

Personal pimps Alloys (thank you YBB), LCA, remote central locking, LED interior lights, MOMO steering wheel, Plasma dials

7000-8000 miles across europe and 1 MOT (clean bill of health) later, still pleased apart from the thirst of her. Keep looking at the new shape aero AFTs...........V6/LPG
Paul 2002 V6Image
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:10 pm

it's so nice to hear all the good stories. Hoping we'll have the same to tell this time next year :) Keep the good stories coming....true, that we only really see all the things that go wrong on here!
Last edited by umbongocat on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love cheese!
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:11 pm

35,000 miles in 3.2 years and counting :D
Keep the Faith

annie bongo!

Post by annie bongo! » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Just got mine 6 hours ago and loving it already! Looking forward to learning more from you guys!
A
x
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:59 pm

7 years and still brill, passed every mot no probs, little bits needed doing like water pump, alternator, rad lol, still think I should have kept me gob shut about cooking oil all those years ago it might still be 35p a litre if I hadnt put it on here. :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”