TM-2 Tabulated readings

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

widdowson2008
Supreme Being

TM-2 Tabulated readings

Post by widdowson2008 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:38 pm

There doesn't appear to be (or I can't find) any recorded data relating to TM-2 readings/settings.

Similarly, no database seems to exist for the Mason unit.

I think this would be usefull to current and future users of this useful piece of kit, as well as providing data which could be used in the 'cooling system project and am prepared to create such a database myself. It would also inform users what temperatures to expect to see.
If anyone agrees, I would like opinions on what sort of information would be usefull in the database.

I was thinking that the data should include:
1 - Location of sensor
2 - Type of driving (motorway, town, hills, loading conditions, towing, etc)
3 - ambient conditions (temperature, winter/summer......)
and whatever else could be of value.
Steve
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: TM-2 Tabulated readings

Post by mikexgough » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:40 pm

I agree........should be a "sticky" so the TM2 gang can add their findings and chat together.......... if not the TM2 readings will remain an enigma ....

The Mason readings that people declare are always very similar so probably not as necessary to log...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:59 pm

absolutely swamped by response :lol:
Steve
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:17 pm

Perhaps the TM2 guys don't want to declare their interest or of having one fitted....... :wink: :-" :-"

And it will remain an enigma for all of time.....

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:22 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:There doesn't appear to be (or I can't find) any recorded data relating to TM-2 readings/settings.

Similarly, no database seems to exist for the Mason unit.

I think this would be usefull to current and future users of this useful piece of kit, as well as providing data which could be used in the 'cooling system project and am prepared to create such a database myself. It would also inform users what temperatures to expect to see.
If anyone agrees, I would like opinions on what sort of information would be usefull in the database.

I was thinking that the data should include:
1 - Location of sensor
2 - Type of driving (motorway, town, hills, loading conditions, towing, etc)
3 - ambient conditions (temperature, winter/summer......)
and whatever else could be of value.
I've lost count of the number of times I've raised this, or the slappings and/or silence I've received from the TM2 peeps for daring to.

If Ian is reading this, might I suggest that modern technology should make it dead easy to set up a repository where each user who cares to can add their figures so that a databank builds up and possibly, just possibly, something called a 'normal distribution curve' could be arrived at (awaits next slapping for his temerity). Stuff like this should add to the 'pull' factor for this already very effective site by addign further value for members (maybe make it a members only service and/or invite sponsorship from manufacturers/vendors). :roll:

PS - Mason might be trickier since it has no figures that can readily be recorded plus not much is known about how consistently undamped gauges behave.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Well if no one wants to participate................they either are happy with their device, can't be bothered, think it is just a toy as a flashy pimp or have no opinion at all.......... probably time to put it to bed..... :?: :?: :?: if no one wants to log their findings

Funnily at Rutland last weekend......... there was no talk of TM2 at all, in fact most of the chat was with tyres/drop links/meets/2.0L Bongos/future add ons and pimps....... the cooling system was not mentioned much at all apart from what coolant makes that people had in their system, in fact the opinion was that the cooling system horror stories and scaremongering is being overplayed on the forum. After chatting to the Bongo chaps who tinker, they feel that all the cooling system stuff has been covered to death with all the information to hand and already available,so folks can make informed choices and have all thee facts to hand........they are now just looking forward to the system diagram when it is finished for their reference.

I wonder what my meet this weekend and the following weekend at Bakewell will come up with as subjects of natter.... :?:

bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:09 pm

I've never searched for a database on TM-2 readings i must admit... (I don't have one) But now you come to mention it.... Where is the data? There must be some... Even if it's scattered about the forum, then surely somebody could collate it for evaluation?
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:14 pm

mikexgough wrote: in fact the opinion was that the cooling system horror stories and scaremongering is being overplayed on the forum. ........
Well... if you're brave enough to quote it mike...I'll be brave enough to applaude it! =D> =D>
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Check this out... I only have a Mason fitted & it saved my arse over a year ago when my top hose went. http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ason+alarm My input is on here! :D Hope this helps...? :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:25 pm

bigdaddycain wrote:
mikexgough wrote: in fact the opinion was that the cooling system horror stories and scaremongering is being overplayed on the forum. ........
Well... if you're brave enough to quote it mike...I'll be brave enough to applaude it! =D> =D>
putting that into context we were discussing the amount of Bongos on the road against how many really have major cooling issues on a percentage wise.....and how you only hear about mishaps and not ......any of..... my cooling system is fine and I only change the coolant as needed and I have no issues .........being mentioned...... maybe there should be some good news stories too...

dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:50 pm

There was a poll put up some years back about how common (or not) cooling system problems were - need to trawl through the thousands of posts 8)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:56 pm

There was a poll put up some years back about how common (or not) cooling system problems were - need to trawl through the thousands of posts
I couldn't find it, but we did used to delete stuff. The closest I could find were the 'results' mentioned by Colin Lambert in 2006, from 69 responses.
SEE THIS LINK and below.
Don't forget only tales of woe get reported here when people want help . see below. 'nuff said! See 'Bongo Chat' can we prove reliability' 26th October. poll. results below.
Can we prove reliability?
Never broken down
76% [ 53 ]
Heating /Cooling problems
11% [ 8 ]
Engine mechanicals
0% [ 0 ]
Fuel problem / Glow plugs
1% [ 1 ]
Engine electrical (starter motor, alternator, etc)
2% [ 2 ]
Other electrical (lights, wipers, etc)
0% [ 0 ]
Gearbox & Differential trouble
1% [ 1 ]
Suspension or brakes
5% [ 4 ]
Drive belts - snapping etc
0% [ 0 ]
MOT failure / Severe rust / exhaust
0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 69
The results will make an interesting comparison to Ian's recent survey. :)
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:17 am

bigdaddycain wrote:
Well I know what you guys are driving at, and I might even be sympathetic (I think it was me who, a long time back, said that hanging around here was like hanging around a hospital entrance - you could end up thinking noone in the world was healthy), but this is more about fun. You only have to look at the hours we spend on here discussing utterly pointless things to the point of complete exhaustion to realise that its our version of 'the great Egg Race'.

Ian did a survey recently and got what - in my experience of doing surveys - was an excellent response rate. Which says a lot. If I had an interest in selling TM2s, I would explore the 'TM2 owners club' concept and provide my buyers with a little value added service by inviting them to enter data about their TM2 into a databank. I have done things like this when building a brand in the past, and it can work (we are looking at a good example of this on our screens right now). The investment needed in order to speculate is small so if it proves a damp squib it is of little consequence.

But I have no commercial interest in TM2 and if they have no interest other than in flogging boxes, then thats their call. I would be interested to see the spread of data for Bongos though as I think it would be interesting to look for any significant trends. Which is where widdowson2008 came in (Steve - I think your chances of success would be higher, and effort in entering data removed, if you could persuade someone to set up an online form that users could put thier own data into and that added their info to a databank which could then be analysed and/or used to publish results - maybe Ozric - the guy behind http://www.bongoogle.co.uk - could help as he's been back online recently and is savvy with this kind of thing). And if TM2 would promote the survey to their customer base then that might drive the project forward.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:53 am

Many of you know I "hang" around hospitals and in my experience the vast majority of visitors are either in or out patients, perhaps 5% are visitors so that analogy is probably flawed, but I get what your trying to say.

I fully agreed with Widdowson earlier in the thread, about the collection of data and suggested a "sticky" to collect the said data.
But why oh why won't TM2 owners join in and participate in the data exercise?..... Happy with their kit, Cant be bothered, think of it as another bit of bling, not sure if they purchased the right thing?.......who knows what the answer is........
Perhaps Engine Watchdog should have an "owners club" (but they don't appear to have TM2 or maybe a place to collect data as a means to achieve some results for Widdowson, at the end of the day if no one wants to take this forward then Widdowson can only use his data and findings as an absolute for all Bongo's......I am still all for a TM2 sticky so the owners/users can discuss and leave data in one single section......

As for a survey...... looking back at the 2006 one mentioned in the thread....11% said cooling problems and 5% said steering/brakes............ so 1/2 as ,many had issues with their suspension and brakes. Nothing in the survey reflects head replacements/burst pipes/hoses etc. Perhaps any future survey could perhaps be more inquisitive as to what cooling problems folks are experiencing....if at all.
The current issues for most owners I meet with, seem to reflect that suspension is a bigger issue than cooling as all the information on the cooling system is out there already....... Perhaps a Coolant types factsheet and the Cooling System Diagram Factsheet to go with the Coolant change sheet, would keep all the info in one place........ and encourage Forum users/lurkers..... to make the leap into full club membership to access the information.
It's 6.4C outside just now, positively balmy, so must go and get Bongo cleaned and ready for the weekends jaunt.....as I won't have time this afternoon onwards due to meetings...... :roll: :roll: ......

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:35 pm

mikexgough wrote:perhaps 5% are visitors
Which makes 95% patients I guess. That's pretty much the case around casualty or admissions entrances anyway - 5yrs of working for the NHS taught me that! But as you say, everyone here seemed to get the point when I made the analogy, so I reckoned it worked. 8)

I suppose the point is that people clearly like discussing, and get roused, by the cooling system issue, because getting a clear picture of what is going on has proved elusive, and the consequences of system failure are potentially so costly. And so, returning to the healthcare analogy, there might potentially be a lot of interest in any 'clinical indicators' that might provide early warning that a Bongo is at high risk (just as high blood pressure, cholesterol, blood glucose, albumin etc. etc. might in relation to our body health) 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”