Availability of Distributor Parts V6

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Availability of Distributor Parts V6

Post by New Forest Terrier » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:04 pm

My Bongo is still refusing to start in the rain. :( Which round here is a lot of the time. If it starts it runs perfectly, but if not you've had it. Next step is replacing the distributor cap and o ring.

Has anyone replaced these? Are they easy to get hold of and where from?

At least removing the Aldi special has sorted out the leisure battery and power drain. Just need to get it started so I can return the thing.

Any advice much appreciated.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Grahame at work
Bongolier

Re: Availability of Distributor Parts V6

Post by Grahame at work » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi terrier,

I replaced mine a little while ago. Got the cap from the Fury shop but I don't think I got a new O ring - I'd ask Ian when you phone.

Easy to fit.

regards Grahame
Joanie2 has had a sex change and is remaned Bert
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:04 pm

John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Post by cheffy34 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:24 am

Got mine from vospers was the cheapest for me cos it on my doorstep, easy to replace, have to buy o ring seperate, solved all my wet probs, dizzy cap is prone it would appear without the gasket #-o , i made up a temp solution with a 2ltr icecream container and some gaffa tape in the form of a shroud for the cap worked a treat it did, still got it for an emergency :D I also got into the habbit of taking an 8mm spanner, stubby phillips screw driver and a can of wd40 with me when it pi##ed down nightmare when there is lots of standing water on the road :evil: seems to get into the driver rear plug aswell
All disclaimers count as i know nothing
BUY A V6er i like my affair with the petrol pump
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:59 pm

Brilliant News :D =D> =D> =D> The Bongo electrical problems are hopefully fixed. =D> [-o< Fred at Discount Trucks finally got a new Dizzy cap today and all is well. Its like being let out of jail. :lol: You can set out with hopes of getting home even if it does rain.

The problem was the carbon brush in the dizzy cap had completely worn away. Suprisingly the spring was still making the contact as long everything did not get too wet. Its a pretty robust system, no missfires once it started. Explains why there was no obvious damp or earth problems anywhere. A set of new spark plugs and all is well.

The leisure battery and kit checked out OK. No charging problems. Looks like all the dramatic power on and off effects were due to the Aldi radio special. :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

At least I got round to stripping out the unknown box of electronics behind the front grille. I disconected it trying to find the power drain. Nothing stopped working so after only two years of thinking about it, it went, origiinal function never worked out. :lol: :lol:
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:12 am

New Forest Terrier wrote:Brilliant News :D =D> =D> =D> The Bongo electrical problems are hopefully fixed. =D> [-o< Fred at Discount Trucks finally got a new Dizzy cap today and all is well. Its like being let out of jail. :lol: You can set out with hopes of getting home even if it does rain.
>
>
>
At least I got round to stripping out the unknown box of electronics behind the front grille. I disconected it trying to find the power drain. Nothing stopped working so after only two years of thinking about it, it went, origiinal function never worked out. :lol: :lol:
Pleased for you Mary. Gotta keep on bongoing, rain or shine

Japanese Tracker recovery system electronics? Your Japanese dentist former owner probably spent his spare time watching your every move until you ripped it out :)
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:09 am

That dentist must have been bored then Ron. My back fence, an awful lot of trees and an occasional view of waitrose car park and some different trees. :lol: :lol:

Suppose the Bongo Bash livened the view up a bit. He could have sent the recovery out though when I was standing there in the rain trying to start it. :^o :^o

My guess is still the Japanese garage door opener though.
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:39 am

You're probably right, although I like to think that there's a very nice (Japanese) man still somewhere on the high seas, bringing his low loader to your aid.
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)

Return to “Techie Stuff”