HEATER TROUBLE

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

neilmcp
Apprentice Bongonaut

HEATER TROUBLE

Post by neilmcp » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi wondered if you can help..

I'm not the most mechanically or technically minded when it comes to vehicles but would give fixing the heater issue I have a go, depending on the diagnosis. It's about 90 miles to the nearest Bongo friendly dealer so if I can fix it then it's the cheapest option.

None of the heater fans work, front or rear at any setting, I have manual air conditioning and when I push the small button to put it on this does not work and the small led does not illuminate. I presumed it was a fuse but have checked all the visible fuses inside and out. The next option is the heater fan resistor as this seems to be a common problem. If the above symptoms are caused by this then I'll ordered a new one and give replacing it a go.

If any other Bongo'er near to my location could look at/fix the issue for a small fee then I may use that option if my own attempts fail.

Cheers Neil McPherson, Newmachar, Aberdeenshire.
technophobe
Tribal Elder

Re: HEATER TROUBLE

Post by technophobe » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:21 pm

I'm not the most technically minded person but would suggest you check the big blue fuse located in a box under the bonnet to the right of the battery. If it is blown could be that the fan which is located under the outlet from the tray under the windscreen needs replacing. If the outlet is blocked the water spills over and soaks it. A good auto electrician can manage this. good luck
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Have you checked fuse 17 in the fuse box under the bonnet? (Fuse box factsheet in Member's Area).
Pretty sure aircon won't work without the fans going.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:29 pm

I would go with the Fuse theory too......just a quick thought...have you got your fan knob set on the 1 setting?...... if not it won't work either....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
technophobe
Tribal Elder

Post by technophobe » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:49 pm

francophile1947 wrote:Have you checked fuse 17 in the fuse box under the bonnet? (Fuse box factsheet in Member's Area).
Pretty sure aircon won't work without the fans going.
Quite right John it won't.
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:00 pm

if the fuse has blown, then there is something causing it to blow #-o check the heater fan under the bonnet is free to move, if that freely moves then check the heater resister, this can be re soldered .
Lost without my Bongo.
Grahame at work
Bongolier

Post by Grahame at work » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi neilmcp

I'd be happy to look at it for you - can't promise anything but I've got schematics / tools etc to check it out.

I'm goin to be pushed for time this weekend cos we're going south next weekend. I shall be working on mine sometime over the weekend and if you come over to me then I could at least take a quick look - and maybe you could give me a hand to turn my middle seats round while your there :roll: :lol:

PM me a contact number or something.

Regards Grahame
Joanie2 has had a sex change and is remaned Bert

Return to “Techie Stuff”