Exhaust Manifold Studs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

WheelockBongo

Exhaust Manifold Studs

Post by WheelockBongo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:24 pm

I've recently had a loud squealing sound when accelerating.

First thought was alternator/ air con belts but changed these and the squeal was still there.
My local mechanic has diagnosed the problem with snapped exhaust manifold stud.

I usually source the parts and he requires exhaust manifold gasket, turbo to exhaust gasket and manifold to turbo gasket.
The first two i've found ok but struggling with the manifold to turbo one.

Also he wants to replace all the exhaust manifold studs with a train of thought 'that might as well do them all with the manifold off' which i tend to agree with.

Having trouble sourcing the manifold studs also, so does anyone have any suggestions as to where i might be able to get them along with the aforementioned gasket?

Any help gratefully received!!!
stevedon
Bongonaut

Re: Exhaust Manifold Studs

Post by stevedon » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:28 pm

any good autoparts supplier can get them for you, they will need to know what thenght they are and what thread pitch.I work for wurth and we sell them to the garage trade so any garage can get them, i would guess m8 x 1.25 and @50mm
stevedon
Bongonaut

Post by stevedon » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:01 pm

here is a link to the page detailing the range available. http://www.wurth.co.uk/catalogue/pdfs/UK-CD_05_2108.pdf hope this helps
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:44 pm

it's the No 1 manifold stud.....the only one you can see without removing bits...nearest the front of the engine....It can normally be replaced without removing the manifold or anything else...It can all be done (either extracted or drilled and helicoiled) in a couple of hours without removing anything....this will normally fix the problem
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks

Return to “Techie Stuff”