Help! My engine won't switch off

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

airsine

Help! My engine won't switch off

Post by airsine » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Just pulled into a campsite and the engine won't turn off. The keys are out of the egnition and it's still turning over. How can I manually stop it?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Help! My engine won't switch off

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:29 pm

airsine wrote:Just pulled into a campsite and the engine won't turn off. The keys are out of the egnition and it's still turning over. How can I manually stop it?
Oh dear this has happened before. The cutoff solenoid has gone AWOL I suspect. Have a search on here for advice. I wonder if a crude way to do it might be to lift the bonnet and block the air intake so it starves of air. Be v. careful though as the suction on there is scary. A firm bit of plywood slapped over it or somesuch might do it.

If anyone techie thinks the above advice is duff then shout now please!!!
Sar N Ade
Bongolier

Post by Sar N Ade » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:30 pm

I'm not technical but have you left your lights on??

See this topic

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ey#p302473

I hope someone who knows something is along soon [-o<

Sarah
ScubaBongo

Post by ScubaBongo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:32 pm

If it's a manual, stall it. If it's an Auto..... siphon the fuel off??

Same thing happened on my BMW, but I was able to stall it (and then disconnect battery to avoid a flat)
airsine

Post by airsine » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:05 pm

Yep the fuel cut off is shot. Ended up disconnecting the fuel line into the engine which worked but I'm not going to make a habit of it. Thx for the help
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:26 pm

airsine wrote:Yep the fuel cut off is shot. Ended up disconnecting the fuel line into the engine which worked but I'm not going to make a habit of it. Thx for the help
Well done. Did air starvation not work then?
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:41 pm

Be v. careful though as the suction on there is scary. A firm bit of plywood slapped over it or somesuch might do it.

I just asked Al and he said it's good in theory and he has tried it, but it didn't work. That's because there's a joint on the bottom of the pipe (on the bend), with a push-in pipe and this still lets through enough air for the engine to run.

He thinks you could probably block the air by undoing the 10ml bolt by the bottom of the battery tray, pull off the first pipe and then try blocking it, or block it at the air filter end.

He stops them pulling off the pipe on the diesel pump... airsine, you'll need a new diesel stop solenoid.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:45 pm

Doone wrote:
Be v. careful though as the suction on there is scary. A firm bit of plywood slapped over it or somesuch might do it.

I just asked Al and he said it's good in theory and he has tried it, but it didn't work. That's because there's a joint on the bottom of the pipe (on the bend), with a push-in pipe and this still lets through enough air for the engine to run.

He thinks you could probably block the air by undoing the 10ml bolt by the bottom of the battery tray, pull off the first pipe and then try blocking it, or block it at the air filter end.

He stops them pulling off the pipe on the diesel pump... airsine, you'll need a new diesel stop solenoid.
Thank Al for that - most useful to know. I'm not surprised (I wouldn't even be surprised if the suction implded the piping as its so powerful) but thought it was worth raising as a possibility. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”