Fuel Gauge not working

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

PisceanJoy
Bongolier

Fuel Gauge not working

Post by PisceanJoy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:33 pm

I have recently bought a Bongo. The fuel gauge wasn't working and the previous owner said e had got it fixed. It seemed to work. But on my way back from Glastonbury Festival yesterday I started with 1/2 a tank was stuck in a queue for 2 hours getting off site
My friend said how are you for petrol and I looked and the gauge was nearly on empty
Luckily found a garage and filled up. By the cost it really was still 1/2 full.
So the fuel gauge isn't working again Any suggestion to possible causes before I take it to the garage who were supposed to have fixed it?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Fuel Gauge not working

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:36 pm

Loads of info already on here about fuel gauge problems - in fact there's one a bit further down this page - see http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=32496. Probably just a bad earth.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:30 pm

Depends on what they meant when they said they fixed it, have a go at the earth lead, at least it is a start, if that dont fix it then take it back.
Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:09 pm

Same problem with mine, I have had an auto electrician check the earth - fine no probs. So I
bought a secondhand sender unit from a BF member and had it fitted, still the same.

I just go by the odometer and fill up when required, we have got used to doing it.

Is there a cure out there ?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Shane wrote:Same problem with mine, I have had an auto electrician check the earth - fine no probs. So I
bought a secondhand sender unit from a BF member and had it fitted, still the same.

I just go by the odometer and fill up when required, we have got used to doing it.

Is there a cure out there ?
dipstick anyone? :D
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:18 pm

When you say they checked the earth, did they actually remake it?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
graham33

Post by graham33 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:36 pm

I could check the earth if you live near Plymouth - I have whats called an Earth bonding kit - which tests milli ohms through various cables - normally you should be no more than 23milli Ohms through mutliple earths and only 2milli Ohms through one link.

If the sender unit is ok - then I would try testing the actual gauge, making sure that the signals/voltages are 1. getting to the gauge and 2. seeing if the guage will give a good deflection.

hope you get it working....
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:17 am

There is a hell of a lot of difference in checking the earth connection and renewing it, I could look at anything and say I had checked it and it looked fine, have a go cleaning the earth connection and make a second like I have and I am sure you will find that by a miracle, lol, the problem MAY be solved, good luck but...have a go its easy.
PisceanJoy
Bongolier

Post by PisceanJoy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks for all the advice. i am not mechanically minded, so intend printing all the blurb from teh various links and going to the garage that fixed it as well as talking to a mechanically minded mate who is going to fit a leisure battery for me
Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:07 pm

New Earth fitted but still no joy. Never mind we will be in France in
a couple of weeks and the wine will help sort earthly matters out.
Pablobongo
Bongolier

Post by Pablobongo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:00 pm

PisceanJoy wrote:I have recently bought a Bongo. The fuel gauge wasn't working and the previous owner said e had got it fixed. It seemed to work. But on my way back from Glastonbury Festival yesterday I started with 1/2 a tank was stuck in a queue for 2 hours getting off site
My friend said how are you for petrol and I looked and the gauge was nearly on empty
Luckily found a garage and filled up. By the cost it really was still 1/2 full.
So the fuel gauge isn't working again Any suggestion to possible causes before I take it to the garage who were supposed to have fixed it?
Strange that it was not cured.....did you make a totally new earth?
Paul 2002 V6Image

Return to “Techie Stuff”