help needed please!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rosa125

help needed please!

Post by rosa125 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi we are in Boldon Colliery, Tyne & Wear.

The Bongo is poorly so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated, thanks.

Last week I was driving the bongo when a pipe from the water pump started to steam, so hubby replaced the pipe. He also noticed that the head was leaking a bit of oil, he took it off and had it skimmed and replaced it along with a new head gasket. Everything went back together and engine was running sound. Then he flushed the engine and radiatatar's and beld the system everything seemd fine so he emptied the water out to put in the 50/50 coolent mix. When he emptied the water out to put in the collent the scavenger/main engine fan stopped working (he noticed the coil warning light flashing rapidly before the fan stopped working) also at the same time the internal heating stopped to work. At the same time the fans stopped working the bottom pipe coming from the radiatar became cold. Water seems to be circulating around the radiatar and the water inside seems clear. The radiatar fans kick in as soon as the top pipe from the radiatar gets hot and they do not stop. He changed the thermostat 3 times and the car rermains the same (he watched the stat open in boiling water). We tried removing the thermostatic switch and the radiatar fans and as soon as you put the ignition on the radiatar fans kick in even when the upper radiatar pipe is not yet hot. Do you have any ideas what could be causing this and what our next step should be?
Thanks Rach
waycar8
Supreme Being

Re: help needed please!

Post by waycar8 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi rach i have moved this to the techie section you will get a better response from here.

as for you problem, i am not sure but, when you say he bled the system?, did he use the bleed hose near the alternator?, you may have air in the system still, but it could also be related to an electrical fault of some kind, when he had the haed off he may have knocked something or broke a wire ect, it could be something to do with the engine bay sensor which is located somewhere around the handbrake area of the engine bay which controlls the scanvenger fan ect, i am just throwing a few ideas as i dont really know the answer but someone else may shed some light for you :wink:
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:01 pm

Nice to speak to hubby on the phone..From what was said I think it is more serious than bleeding or electrical.
You said the head was very warped and had to be skimmed. When this was done did you check the levels of the top of the engine block. Simon Jones can tell you how important that can be.
You also said you had a overheating event in the past.
As I said...off with the head again...get it pressure tested....if all o.k. ....emery the top of the block with a slab of marble and fine emery untill there are no high spots...assemble with great care keeping everything "super" clean.
Best of luck.
I don't think the "oil" was a issue..they nearly have it in that area from the EGR seal.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:17 pm

Also make sure you use a genuine Mazda head gasket - there have been problems with the Ebay copies.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)

Return to “Techie Stuff”