Roof problems

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

leighton gowenL

Roof problems

Post by leighton gowenL » Tue May 27, 2008 8:06 pm

I'm having a problem with my roof it will not rise. I've got the hand brake up, engine on and it makes a beeping noise when i push the roof up button but nothing happens, there is no noise coming from the motors? I've checked all the fuses in the fusebox they are all o.k. i've lifted the hand brake cover and checked the connections it all seems ok. Has anybody else got any suguestions? Does any one know where i can get a manual from? Your suguestions will be much appreciated. p.s how do i add my location and picy
Last edited by leighton gowenL on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Roof problems

Post by francophile1947 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:30 pm

Welcome to the madhouse and don't forget to put your location in your profile - it helps us to help you as someone local may well be prepared to try it with you.
You can get manuals from the club shop.
The relevant fuse is the 30A one - 4th from left on second row.
Have you tried pushing the roof up whilst you are pushing the switch? It may just be that the micro switches are not making a circuit.
Somebody with more knowledge than me should hopefully sort you out.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 27, 2008 9:27 pm

I assume the gearshift was in 'Park' (can't remember but think it has to be). Has it behaved perfectly up to now? If so, I'd suspect a fuse or switch which, although annoying to track down, I'd hope will not be a major outlay once discovered. But as above, I don't have the knowledge to be able to help I fear. Good luck - keep us posted f you can.

Mike 8)
sajseven
Bongolier

Post by sajseven » Wed May 28, 2008 12:15 am

Yes, those are the two things to check first - fuse and that it's in park. Then, I think, roof-microswitch and then parking-brake-microswitch and then motors (I should hope not) and lastly control unit ( [-o< to God it 'aint this!). Good luck getting it sorted!
Regards, Stephen Jarman (Blog & MyBongo)
Sail Fast: www.sailing-fast.com
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Wed May 28, 2008 7:58 am

If it makes the beeping noise then surly it cant be the switch or fuse or parking etc?

I have to say I guessing as have no idea but sounds like motor to me
I would try and give it a push and see if it just needs a start to get going
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:29 am

Mine doesn't have to be in Park to raise the roof.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 28, 2008 12:04 pm

Thanks for the correction on 'Park' - honestly couldn't remember, it was late, and I was frightfully, frightfully, drunk
:roll:
Last edited by mikeonb4c on Wed May 28, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Might not be a correction Mike - I also thought it had to be in Park, so I went out and checked it. Mine might be faulty, but it works :D :D
John
leighton gowenL

Post by leighton gowenL » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:20 pm

Thats for everybodys reply. Still having probs with roof Checked all fuses under steering dash 2nd down 4th across tryed cleaning them up in case there was a bad contact all o.k. tryed lifting roof while pushing switch and it wouldn't buj Also found loads of relays under bonnet possibly relating to motor control, pulled out incase they where sticking and reinserted but still having probs. I'll have to order maintenance books i.e haynes etc. Looked in manaual guide but there is no help on opening probs only closing probs?? Must be a switching prob i think as if motor had gone it would blow a fuse. If anyone else had these sort of probs please reply thanks
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:07 pm

could the relay type thing (dont know its real name) but there is a small box thats for the roof lifting techie bit,i cant remember its location but i think its behind the plastic trim at the very back on the passenger side if its not there it could be on the other side :? or if its not there check behind the trim where the front passenger seatbelt is bolted to.

Its a while since i broke my old bongo for spares so cant remember its exact location, but i think it does say something on it about the roof
AndAndDen
Supreme Being

Post by AndAndDen » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:06 pm

The relay in question is towards the back on the drivers side.
Get a Life ,Get a Bongo. !!!
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:39 pm

Just had the same problem after getting back from a few days away, put the roof down in the pouring rain, worked fine. I went to put it up to dry out when I got home - nothing :( Handbrake switch appeared to be ok, but had oxidised & wasn't making proper contact, so I scraped both switch contact areas & it worked again :D , got to be worth a try if you haven't done it already.
Last edited by missfixit70 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Aha! Wondered where you had been Kirsty. Hope you had a good time. That roof tip def. sounds worth trying, fingers crossed 8)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:17 pm

4 days in the Purbecks at Burnbake campsite with a field full of soggy pagans :wink: :D Thought I was going to get washed away last night :shock: I think the 4 days of damp my have contributed to the switch oxidisation.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.

Return to “Techie Stuff”