Softies? I think not!!

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

Tiny

Softies? I think not!!

Post by Tiny » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Friday aftermoon, Pevensey bay, and an Easterly wind reduces brass monkeys to tears, and the Morris family arrive for our first go at camping Bongo styley. Non stop rain all day Saturday confirm to me that us southerners are made of stern stuff.

What a great weekend, if there are lurkers out there wondering if they should attend one of the Events, I urge you wait no longer. The weather stank, but all else was excellent, particularly the people. I must say a special thanks to Ian and his family whos' heroic efforts with our awning meant we were able to take it home on Sunday rather than see it disappear into a far flung corner of Sussex in the teeth of a gale.

The weather was evem at its most spiteful as we packed on Sunday AM, the taunting sun beating down on us as we packed to go back to work on Monday.

Cheers to all who were there, already looking forward to Woodlands in a few weeks!
Tiny 8) \
Dago & Mrs D
Supreme Being

Re: Softies? I think not!!

Post by Dago & Mrs D » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:47 pm

Our apologies for the perverse weather! I know none of you who marched heroically across Pevensey marshes to the pub on Saturday will believe us when we say that for the previous 2 weeks we have had glorious sunshine (with the brief exception of 6" of snow for a day) :roll: but we swear it is true. At least the sun today meant that the awnings could be packed away dry. (We have, however, just had a cloudburst complete with perfect rainbow).

Great to meet old friends and new faces and finally be able to put the two Pete's together and put Sue and my minds at rest that they aren't one and the same Pete splitting his time between us :shock: :lol:

francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:12 pm

My first Southern Softies and the weather was "interesting" :shock: Went on Dago's walk but, despite the swamp, we didn't see any alligators - probably too cold for them!!! Good value food at the pub though :D
It was good to meet up with so many new faces plus, of course, old friends. Thanks to all involved in organising the event and to Crazy, and his long suffering wife Kerry, for their hospitality on the Friday night.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:11 pm

Well done guys, wish we could have been there.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:23 pm

There's only Michael Bradley and ourselves who have attended both the "Tough Northerners" and the "Southern Softies" events. And for foul weather conditions, the Pevensey event won easily, although nothing will beat the infamous Buxton event in terms of toughness.

So for all Northerners, here's a photo of the Softies taking time away from their hot water bottles and mugs of horlicks (and discussions about negative equity) to tell you:

"You are not that hard, and we'll meet you in a car park of your choice........ \:D/

668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:31 pm

Good on ya guys :D , not sure I wish I was there :-k, but I would have been if I could - next time :D
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Windswept
Bongonaut

Post by Windswept » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:36 pm

"We shall fight them on the beaches, etc"

I am sure Winston was referring to the heroic struggle we had on Friday evening - Pete & Sue came to our rescue again, keeping our new-to-us awning in roughly the right place in a gale , in the dark, on our southern beach :D
It was educational: we all learned (slowly) just many poles, guys, pegs, & straps an "Easycamp" has :shock: & why they need to be assembled in a specific order #-o

Our great thanks to Pete & Sue, who must have learned a few new expletives from myself, & marvelled at Emma's patience :?

The walk on Saturday was a bit grim, especially pushing/pulling/carrying our baby in the buggy :( but a fine lunch with good company & interesting ales made it worthwhile.

It was really good to put faces to so many of the regulars on here, & to observe the native drinkers in action until the lights went out at the 11pm curfew =D>

Thanks to Paul (from Brazil) for the spare wheel - now all I have to do is dispose sensitively & legally of my 'frisbee' [-o<
And of course to Ian for his indomitable & rousing speeches concerning the different weather the Northerners enjoyed, & the shipping forecast stuff we had to endure!!!

See you all again soon - hope to get to Stourport, & hope for a bit of summer there [-o<
Paul, Emma & Imogen
Blue/Silver AFT, named TIKI, the Hawaiian God of fair winds & good fortune.
Plus a Quechua Base.
Dago & Mrs D
Supreme Being

Post by Dago & Mrs D » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:06 am

Windswept wrote:"We shall fight them on the beaches, etc"

It was really good to put faces to so many of the regulars on here, & to observe the native drinkers in action until the lights went out at the 11pm curfew =D>

When Dago went over to thank the wardens when we left he mentioned the 11pm curfew but they said it wasn't them switching us off - apparently it was a powercut and there had been another later in the night. We'd wondered whether they had decided we were getting raucous on the "Pete and Sue and Crazy Too" cocktails of one third calvados two thirds cider - or was that two thirds calvados and one third cider :roll: :!: #-o

Mrs. D
Pete & Sue
Tribal Elder

Post by Pete & Sue » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:50 pm

A grand time was had by all! Many displays of human kite flying; I think Sue reached a record height of 6 1/2 inches off the ground. Sue had developed the most awful toothache, but despite this she was able to get everything shipshape.

John, Chris and me had a an instructive afternoon learning how to erect other peeps awnings, not a torn tent in sight. For me and Sue our highlight was helping Paul and Emma with their awning. Near gale force winds, rain, pitch-black and none of us had a clue! Thankfully it was still there in the morning and Paul was able to find out how it should have been done!

Saturday the rain had set-in but we Southerners were not deterred. We all set out on the short walk to Pevensey across the fields to get lunch at a local pub. Got Sue some pain killers before finding pub.
When we stragglers got there we were told that there was no more room at the Inn so searched for a Barn and luckily came across a quaint tavern called the Smugglers. Popped in, restaurant full of revelers at a private function but told we could eat if we could find a table. Eventually got one, ordered grub and then watched as the landlord went out of his way to make sure that the next set of customers were given the red carpet treatment; they even got their food first. I have to say that the grub was very good indeed as was the Bishops Finger ale that I supped.
Walked back to camp site via the main road, damp and knackered, had a kip.

Sue was having a bad time with her tooth and we decided to make for home first thing and she took some pain killers and went to bed. Later on in the evening I joined the peeps in the marquee for a few beers, etc and me and Crazy invented a nice new drink which he will tell you about in due course. It was marvelous to meet the Southern Softies in the flesh, so to speak! The snowman competition was a close draw between Crazy G's ice pyramid of Strongbow cans and Lee's sculpted Triumph Trident which slowly sagged into the shape of a Hondamahsuki.

Sunday morning Sue's face had swollen to an astonishing degree so broke camp, chucked everything in the Bong and sped off to Hospital. Got a prescription for a massive dose of penicillin and pleased to say Sue is looking and feeling better today.

So, an interesting weekend all round. Sorry we had to leave so quickly and did not get to say goodbye to everyone but we look forward to seeing you all again at some of the forthcoming meets.

Oh, by the way, did I mention, It Was Effing Cold!

Pete & Sue

Turned out nice again!
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:23 pm

=D> Very good Pete :lol: First of all I must thank all concerned in making this such a great weekend including the site staff =D> Secondly I think #-o I have to thank Pete & Sue for bringing along the Calvados, and yes we did Knock up a new cocktail using that and Strongbow :twisted: from here on in named "Pete & Sue & Crazy too juice" NOT for the faint hearted :shock:
Anyhow as pictures speak a thousand words, here`s a few of the usual suspects :arrow:

8)
cheers! party on dudes.
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:20 pm

calvados and strongbow - call that a drink us northerners thrive on barbecue fluid none of yer poncy wines :lol:
and did you wake up in 6 inches of snow like we did at stainforth the week before, no thought not. [-X
seriousely guys looks like you had a great time -
now then about that car park hows about the M25. :twisted:
handyman

Post by handyman » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Mr and Mrs Dago. Well done for the reccys and sorting out the facinating walk to Pevancey Castle, over the styles and through the bogs, over the railway line....even francofile was a bit 8-[ going over that, through the graveyard and into the pub. A good bracing walk......can you send us your address for the laundry bill? :lol:
Dago & Mrs D
Supreme Being

Post by Dago & Mrs D » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:36 pm

handyman wrote:Mr and Mrs Dago. Well done for the reccys and sorting out the facinating walk to Pevancey Castle, over the styles and through the bogs, over the railway line....even francofile was a bit 8-[ going over that, through the graveyard and into the pub. A good bracing walk......can you send us your address for the laundry bill? :lol:

Not if it's for cleaning the wine stains #-o :lol: :lol: =D> =D>
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Post by the janner vanner » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:51 pm

Karena wrote

"and did you wake up in 6 inches of snow like we did at stainforth the week before, no thought not"

how's about 18" one Saturday afternoon in Toronto,
The Janner Vanner
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:53 pm

handyman wrote:Mr and Mrs Dago. Well done for the reccys and sorting out the facinating walk to Pevancey Castle, over the styles and through the bogs, over the railway line....even francofile was a bit 8-[ going over that, through the graveyard and into the pub. A good bracing walk......can you send us your address for the laundry bill? :lol:
Yep - too close to my working environment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”