What Happens if you run the fuel tank dry- THIS maybe??

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

xpanse0

What Happens if you run the fuel tank dry- THIS maybe??

Post by xpanse0 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi all

Just wondering if it is possible that my bongo isn't starting as well as usual since the fuel was left very low (possibly empty???). Maybe my " low fuel indicator" isn't working as my bongo also cut out. The sediment light came on.

I managed to restart and drive the extra 50 yards to the station where i added fuel. It just seems that it isn't starting as well as it was.

Any ideas.

Thanks very much in advance.

Steve. :oops:
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:20 pm

by the sounds of it you have drawn some crap out of the bottom of the tank into the filter or the injectors try giving a few revs and try force the crap out, or buy some redex or similiar to give it clean out
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:22 pm

It MAY have picked up some dirt but unlikely - the pickup pipe is designed to suck air rather than dirt if the tank is empty.

Best to check the filter or drain off the water tap on the botom of the filter.

Is yours a post '99 model? - if not it won't have a low fuel warning light.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
xpanse0

Post by xpanse0 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks guys.

Yes it is pre 99. I won't get caught out by that one again.

So.... my question now is........if I did manage to empty the tank; Is that bad??. .I have heard that if you empty the tank on a diesel engine it may cost to get the pressure re-done (?) or something. (Can you tell I have no idea what I'm talking about? :? ).

Thanks again to any one who can shed any light.

Regards All

Steve E
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:04 pm

As DW says fuel pipes always draw up from the bottom of the tank, so the only dirt it can suck up if you run out is floating dirt.
Chris P

Post by Chris P » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:06 pm

I ran out about 100 yards from a garage, but had no problems restarting it after putting a gallon of diesel in.

Anyway - if it needed priming, then it wouldn't start at all - you made it sound like it was running but badly.

I go with the waycar8 theory - give it a good revving.

Cheers

Chris
BongoMTBer

Post by BongoMTBer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:11 pm

You can get a problem with getting the pump primed ie. sucking fuel again.

My Peugeots all had a hand pump under the bonnet to prime the fuel system again if it had run dry. Don't know about the bongo though. If you have got it to run, I would suggest that this is not an issue.

I would drain/check the filter for water and debris though. I am sure that you will not have blocked injectors or any of the high pressure side of the fuel system though as the filter will stop this.
Ralph

Post by Ralph » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:38 pm

Older Diesels needed bleeding after running out of fuel
as the pump and injector pipes would get air in them
but modern engines are usually OK and just start up after
a bit of churning on the starter.
As its running it should be OK a good blast may sort it out
if there is a bit of trapped air.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:15 pm

I would change the fuel filter and the small gauze filter in the fuel pump banjo.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
mvous

Post by mvous » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Talking of fuel, I managed to get 57 litres in the other week. The fuel was right up to neck of the filler pipe. The needle was right down towards the bottom of the 'E' on the fuel gauge but not past it. Just wondering what's the most anybody has got in the tank as a lot of people have said in the past that they could only get 50 litres or so in. :?
bighairypict
Bongonaut

Post by bighairypict » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:57 pm

BTW, how reliable is the fuel gauge on a pre'99? Does E stand for "Enough" or "Empty"?
mvous

Post by mvous » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:26 am

I suppose the best way would be to have a can of diesel with you and run it out of fuel and see where the needle is :)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:49 pm

mvous wrote:I suppose the best way would be to have a can of diesel with you and run it out of fuel and see where the needle is :)
Personaly I wouldn't do this due to possibility of all the problems litsted above. You may also not have enough power in the battery to draw fuel through.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:25 pm

Bob wrote:
mvous wrote:I suppose the best way would be to have a can of diesel with you and run it out of fuel and see where the needle is :)
Personaly I wouldn't do this due to possibility of all the problems litsted above. You may also not have enough power in the battery to draw fuel through.
I've done it/had to do it several times, but on cars with primer pumps either, inline squeezy bulb ones, or built into the filter head and never had a problem.

If you are close to running out, it is best if you can, to cut the engine as soon as it starts to die, so some fuel is left in the system.
As that is often enough for the engine to start and run briefly and that usually gets the re-priming underway before you start using the starter motor to churn the engine over and finish the priming.
manners

Post by manners » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:24 pm

mvous wrote:Talking of fuel, I managed to get 57 litres in the other week. The fuel was right up to neck of the filler pipe. The needle was right down towards the bottom of the 'E' on the fuel gauge but not past it. Just wondering what's the most anybody has got in the tank as a lot of people have said in the past that they could only get 50 litres or so in. :?
Mine ran out on the forecourt this morning about six foot from the pump :oops: managed to push it close enough and it took 58.8 litres but after i stopped filling there was a lot of gurgling and the level dropped down the neck so could of got a bit more in.

Return to “Techie Stuff”