New Engine Reqired - Advice needed

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

whitewater123

New Engine Reqired - Advice needed

Post by whitewater123 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:13 am

Anyone got any advice or recommendations.
I have already decided that it has to be supply and fit, but how can you decide if you will get a proffessional service or not. Already messed around by too many garages who promise lots and then do not call back etc... I just want to get the service i am promised.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:52 am

You could try someone who belongs to F.E.R. which is the Federation of Engine Re manufacturers, they advertise in car mags, you do not say where you are otherwise I could have perhaps pointed you towards one of them at least worth a phone call.
mayk19
Bongolier

Post by mayk19 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:53 am

can I ask why the engine needs replacing ? How many miles have you done ?
Just got our bongo and that ? is always on my mind.

ta.
Hi im Simon
paul9

Post by paul9 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:33 pm

i have used a place in london a few times for toyota estima engine replacements,they come with a 6 month warranty parts and labour if fitted by themselves,had to have one of the engines replaced a few months after fitting and they changed it without a problem,i have seen recently that they now supply and fit bongo engines although a bit more expensive,they do recover within a certain distance around london,but charge for further afield,also i know of an engine in northwest that may be supply and fit,or supply only.
RobnKathryn

Post by RobnKathryn » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:18 pm

I need a new engine too....I got a quote last week from http://www.reconditioned-engines.co.ukwho are near Heathrow. They quoted £1495.00 for what they described as a new engine (they have a factory on-site) with 5 yrs or 60,000 miles warranty. They would also collect the vehicle (piggy back) from Milton Keynes for an additional £75.

It seemed like very good value, but still unaffordable for me right now. I was a little concerned as to whether they really knew what a Bongo is.....they described the engine as the same as a Mercedes engine!

I would certainly have looked into it a bit more if my budget allowed. I'm buying a s/h lump and fitting myself..scary...YES!

Rob
RobnKathryn

Post by RobnKathryn » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:19 pm

oh btw ....quoted price was fully fitted.
paul9

Post by paul9 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:24 pm

thats not the place i used,that sounds like the place that was featured on watchdog a few months ago,did they used to be called heathrow engines, :wink:

yes,its the same place,just checked the bbc undercover story,but it has been deleted now sorry,steer well clear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_ra ... 1219.shtml

they change there name every few months or a year :wink:
RobnKathryn

Post by RobnKathryn » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:43 pm

Whoa....I'm glad I didn't go down that route then! Thanks for that Paul.
paul9

Post by paul9 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:54 pm

check this thread about engine replacement.
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... hp?t=13425

my advice would be to let supplier fit engine,as i did,especially if their warranty covers the labour as in my case,i got another engine replaced under warranty without the labour costs :wink:

i used the AA to recover my vehicle to london,but when it needed replacing againg due to head failer,i managed to drive it back down there,just a hassle if you live miles away as i do :?
whitewater123

Post by whitewater123 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:39 pm

Don't worry Bongo engines are great! Mine ran really quietly until i decided to get the cam belt changed - just in case. I now have a knackered head and probably a bent conrod. That's bad enough but i am finding someone to trust to fix if professionally really difficult. I am in Oxfordshire. As i wrote earlier i think supply and fit is the best way to go as only one person to deal with. I had a quote from Heathrow as well -------THANKS for that information. Any recommendations......................
kawasaki kid
Tribal Elder

Post by kawasaki kid » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:07 pm

Who did the cambelt , was your engine damage due to the cambelt failing or was it set up wrongly. :shock:
If I had all the money I ever spent on my Freda ............ I`d spend it on my Freda.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:08 am

whitewater123 - there's a great outfit in Newbury, been discussed on BF. I've just returned from hols tonight and I'm knackered so try a search for them and see what you find. If no luck I'll have a look myself when I catch up with myself.

Mike 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”