speedo chipping, changing and removing

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:41 pm

I just swap the the speedo over, one for the other.

jet ski jim

Post by jet ski jim » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:58 pm

oh now i get it , you just took the complete speedo out of the instrument cluster and changed it over - was it a perfect fit and also what exact model /year did the new one come from as it sounds a nifty idea that i'd like to try
jim
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:22 pm

jet ski jim

94/95 MX6 V6 24 valve and £10!!!!!!!! bargain hey
jet ski jim

Post by jet ski jim » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:07 pm

right i'll start searching ............did you find it by chance or did you know about it before hand - in other words were you milling around a breakers yard or did you put it on a search on the web ? - i only ask as breakers yards now (especially in epsom surrey where i live) are few and far between
jim
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:31 pm

my local breakers is the old fashion type you take off what you want and then pay.
I love it, could (do so the other half thinks) spend hour looking around
Keep the Faith

jet ski jim

Post by jet ski jim » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:34 pm

just stuck an add on find a part and a breaker came back with £58.75 inc vat and delivery !
clogger
Bongolier

Post by clogger » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:03 am

waiting on mine to turn up

got it £25 all in
guy says he has a load of them

Tel: Andy 07779753219 or 07788184386
Email: [email protected]

hope this helps ya
ECKY THUMP
the one true art form
jet ski jim

Post by jet ski jim » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:46 pm

sorry mate , i realised that after i posted the last reply but couldnt do anything about it - well it was first thing this morning and the coffee hadnt kicked in . I did email him and am waiting on a reply
cheers . let me know when yours arrives
jim
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:19 pm

Apologies for hijackng this thread. BUT, I have an irritating (but occasional) rattle that I think is connected with something inside the instrument panel. I'd quite like to take it off and have a look but am not at all sure how much of a job that is. How have you guys found it getting the panel off, and how is it done? I'd be grateful for any tips.

Thanks

Mike
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:26 am

mikeonb4c
it will take 5-10 mins to get the clocks out, it's only 4 screws to take the grey outer off, then 4 more to get the clocks out. you will have to unplug any switches from the grey outer and then the 2 plugs from the back of the clocks.

regards maxheadroom
Keep the Faith

jet ski jim

Post by jet ski jim » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:49 am

its a piece of cake and a nice one too ! - dead easy , as previously said theres only 8 screws in total and there all easy to see and get too . I've done it so many times now i have got it down to the equivilant of a formula 1 pit crew in action
cheers
jim
ps still no cotact about my clocks - i'll have to try and phone him as his email may be out
jet ski jim

Post by jet ski jim » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:01 am

great thanks - dont suppose anyones come across some electric blinds as my little angels have broken 2 of them ?
motorwizard

speedo face.

Post by motorwizard » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:55 pm

I think the trick is to change the face and then put the needle on so the it points below 0mph and the move the needle to put in the needle stop.
I changed the face on my speedo and it was reading fast so I refitted the needle this way and it is now accurate reading the same as my GPS.
jet ski jim

Post by jet ski jim » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:59 pm

ok but the incorrect speed is variable not constant so no matter where you fit it (as i have tried numerous positions )- at some time on the scale its incorrect -thats the dilema . Its fine and accurate up to 37mph then it all goes t.ts up from there upwards at increasing variables
jim
jet ski jim

Post by jet ski jim » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:12 pm

hi guys , just spoke to andy - aka mazda man and what a nice bloke . he was very accomodating and said indeed he had a few speedos and will stick one in the post if i paypal him £25 - yeeha - ooh i'm getting that i could have cracked it feeling ! - mind you thats normally followed up by the - oh boll..ks no i have pain !
thanks guys

Return to “Techie Stuff”