You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

BlockABoots
Apprentice Bongonaut

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention

Post by BlockABoots » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:10 pm

Yes yes another one of those threads that i bet pops up every few months on here, and all the regulars give out a sigh :lol: .

You've guessed it I'm looking at getting a Bongo for our first camper van. We have been camping for the last 2 seasons and have really enjoyed it but now having got a dog and want a bit more luxury (and not so much time putting up a tent) and maybe some more camping in the autumn and early spring months we want to get a camper and the Bongo seems like a cult favorite!!

Now as this is my first introduction to camper van and don't think its wise to spend a massive amount on the first camper, so ideally my budget would be around 8k which seems middle of the park looking at private sellers and some garages sell for??, they seem to vary quite a lot from 5k up to 14k??

Now i know that rust and over heating are the main issues to lookout for (as well as the bleeding on the diesels) and i guess if i go and look at a 5k Bongo all I'm going to see is rust right??. So ideally I'd want a Bongo that has been under-sealed quite rapidly after it had been imported to the UK, has a heat sensor installed and maybe the auto bleed mod done. Is there any other things i should look out for or look at being done to a Bongo?

Im guessing the best places to get a Bongo are still JAL imports and New Dawn?? and seems you can get an off the boat UK protected and converted (roof and interior) for like 14k which I guess is the safe option but as said earlier this is above my budget of 8k. That said what sort of Bongo could i expect for 8K, I'd ideally want one that's been converted already right??. I have actually seen one in my home town its only like 3.5k but it just a standard 8 seater with not converted at all, i don't think it even has the pop top, buying such a vehicle the pop top conversion is what 2.5k (i don't actually know) and same for an interior conversion right , and then have the undersealing done and already I'm over the 8k budget?

Anyway sorry for the long post and rambling questions i just dont want to get a turkey!! :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:31 pm

Welcome aboard!
Have you looked at the members for sale adverts here ? https://igmaynard.co.uk/for-sale/#bongos
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:07 am

Welcome aboard. 8)

Might be worth getting along to a Meet or two and chat with owners about conversions, just see how peeps are finding side/rear fits.

Return to “Bongo Chat”