Headlight swap Xenon to Halogen

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

STEViE
Apprentice Bongonaut

Headlight swap Xenon to Halogen

Post by STEViE » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:07 pm

Hi folks. My Bongo Friendee 'Aero', model GF-SG5W has just failed its itv (MOT) here in Spain because of the factory fitted Xenon headlights. I've been told that they have to be changed over to Halogen bulbs as they are illegal here. Is this a simple fix please ?

We've been through the wringer with this as we've also had to supply official Mazda proof that the bodywork on the Aero is how it came from the factory. No amount of photos of other Aero models would convince them and it was only, and very grudgingly, after we found a Bongo brochure online that they are allowing that to pass. We could really do with getting an official factory spec sheet from Mazda Japan but that, so far, has proven illusive. SALUD !!
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Headlight swap Xenon to Halogen

Post by Bob » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:24 pm

Not sure if the bulbs are a direct swap or maybe the problem is the lights are for right hand drive, so dip in the face of oncoming traffic.

If you need to swap the lights I've an idea the ones from a left hand drive Vauxhall Astra fit.
gilly99
Bongonaut

Post by gilly99 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:52 pm

Hi, I looked into all this a few years ago; muy, muy complicado. Hats-off in succeeding to register a Bongo in Spain!!!! I think the itv will always risk a fail as the RH drive Bongo is a grey import, and even if Xenon were standard factory fit they do not comply with all the EU regulations regarding that type of headlight, eg auto-levelling, so Mazda would have had to change the design in order to import into EU.

Have you tried //www.car-registrations-spain.com/headlam ... nment.html ? - they may be able to advise and convert the bulbs, and issue a "Certificado de Taller" - think they are located down on the Costa del Sol.
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.
STEViE
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by STEViE » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:32 am

gilly99 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:52 pm Hi, I looked into all this a few years ago; muy, muy complicado. Hats-off in succeeding to register a Bongo in Spain!!!! I think the itv will always risk a fail as the RH drive Bongo is a grey import, and even if Xenon were standard factory fit they do not comply with all the EU regulations regarding that type of headlight, eg auto-levelling, so Mazda would have had to change the design in order to import into EU.

Have you tried //www.car-registrations-spain.com/headlam ... nment.html ? - they may be able to advise and convert the bulbs, and issue a "Certificado de Taller" - think they are located down on the Costa del Sol.
Hi Gilly Thanks for the link though we had our lights adjusted for LH Drive a while back. The engineer made no mention of the other headlight problems we may encounter.

Return to “Techie Stuff”