No diesel from injector pump

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Timthetooth
Apprentice Bongonaut

No diesel from injector pump

Post by Timthetooth » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:07 pm

Hi folks,

Having searched the forum, I know this has been covered in various guises before but I'd really appreciate your thoughts and advice.

We parked up.our 1995 2.5 TD 4WD Bongo in early November. It had been running fine.

At the beginning of January, I went to start it. The Bongo coughed a little as though she was about to start but then refused. After much trying, she eventually started but ran lumpily for a minute before stalling.

When the weather warmed up a little, I tried again. The Bongo coughed a little and after much cranking it eventually started and ran. I let her warm up and she'd rev and drive fine.

I initially thought, "glow plugs" so I changed them but to no avail. I checked the resistance of the glow plugs and bench tested them with 12v. Resistance was good and all glowed red hot when 12v applied. There's 10.9 voltage to the rail and the solenoid works fine.

However, the Bongo now refuses to fire at all.

I slackened off one of the injector pipe unions and cranked the engine and no diesel is being sent to the injectors.

The fuel injector pump was changed for an exchange unit about 2 years ago. It's out of warranty.

I changed the fuel filter today - still no fuel coming through when the engine is cranked.

I checked the banjo fuel strainer and it's absent - I presume the garage that swapped the fuel pump omitted to swap these over from the old pump.

I've checked the fuel cap breather - it's fine.

It's as though the fuel just isn't being drawn through.

I'll check the power supply to the fuel shut off solenoid tomorrow and if it's ok I'll try and remove the solenoid and test it.

When I've done this, is there anything else I should check or am I to assume that the absent banjo strainer has allowed the ingress of enough crud to ruin the pump?

If there's any other reason why fuel shouldn't be getting through that I've not thought of then I'd be really grateful for your wisdom.

Many thanks

Tim
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: No diesel from injector pump

Post by teenmal » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:54 pm

How much "known" fuel in the tank, remove banjo bolt a test for a vacuum .
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:55 pm

teenmal wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:54 pm How much "known" fuel in the tank, remove banjo bolt and test for a vacuum .
Timthetooth
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Timthetooth » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:46 pm

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. The tank is a third full. If I understand you correctly, I've removed the banjo bolt into the fuel pump and put my thumb over the hole whilst cranking the engine. I know my thumb isn't a vacuum meter but I couldn't feel.or hear any sense of vacuum at the aperture
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:43 pm

Timthetooth wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:46 pm Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. The tank is a third full. If I understand you correctly, I've removed the banjo bolt into the fuel pump and put my thumb over the hole whilst cranking the engine. I know my thumb isn't a vacuum meter but I couldn't feel.or hear any sense of vacuum at the aperture
You need to confirm that the IP is in fact being driven, and the woodruff key ( or similar drive component) has not sheared. This is just a process that you have to go through. The fact that the vehicle has sat for several months and no pump strainer fitted could cause all sorts of problems.
Are you certain that the rubber cut off valve has not stuck in the closed position ??

On a few occasions with similar problem ,we actually pressure fed the IP to get things going.

Good luck.
Timthetooth
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Timthetooth » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:17 pm

Hi,

Many thanks again for your thoughts. As the van has started a couple of times in the last couple of weeks, albeit with difficulty, it would seem unlikely that the pump isn't being driven as if so I'd have not expected it to start at all. As you suggest, I'll concentrate on the shut off solenoid next and see if that's the culprit.

Kind regards

Tim
Timthetooth
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Timthetooth » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:46 am

Update!

Many thanks again for your advice. Try as I might, I couldn't get the shut off solenoid out with the pump in situ. Just as well!

With the help of a second pair of hands, we set about trying to force fuel through the system by putting an air compressor into the fuel tank opening and sealing it with rags. When the pressure was applied it revealed a diesel leak on the rubber scavenger pipe returning from the injectors to the pump. By the look of it, the pump was sucking in air and not moving the fuel.

Closer inspection showed the underside of the pipe had been chewed through by a mouse (looking round the van I found other evidence of it taking up residence for the winter)

Anyway, I cut the chewed part out, reattached the pipe and after a few minutes cranking it started and has run perfectly since (plus it passed it's MoT today too). I love a cheap fix!

Return to “Techie Stuff”