Rear Diff sourcing

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Cresda
Apprentice Bongonaut

Rear Diff sourcing

Post by Cresda » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:43 pm

Hello Bongo heads, ive been coming here and lurking a few years on and off now, and used many of the help posted here for fixing and sourcing in the past, But now has come the time for me to post.
My rear diff has gone on my 1997 mazda bongo friendee 2.5d - im trying to source another with no luck, ive found whole rear axles but im reluctant to do that due to garage cost of that job and a few garages i spoke to wouldnt even do it. So does anyone know where i can source just a rear diff and hopefully make it just an old out and new in job? Ive been trawling ebay and tried all the usual bongo / spares & market places but to no avail. Left messages and contacts at part search places but not so much as a nibble. Failing that is there any other vehicles rear diff that could possibly fit in its place apart from the Ford Freda that anyone knows of. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Rear Diff sourcing

Post by teenmal » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:01 pm

You could buy the complete axle and just swap over the differential, then you will have a load of valuable spares. If you buy from a breaker they will normally remove and send you the bare differential as long as you meet the whole unit price the P&P will be cheaper.
Cresda
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Rear Diff sourcing

Post by Cresda » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:00 pm

teenmal wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:01 pm You could buy the complete axle and just swap over the differential, then you will have a load of valuable spares. If you buy from a breaker the will normally remove and send you the bare differential as long as you meet the whole unit price the P&P will be cheaper.
After talking with a few others on the subject it seems it would be more straight forward to do the axle change, but yeah ive came to the conclusion as you said its prob best to just get the full axle and either get a full change done or pop the diff out on it and swap them over - atleast ill have a choice and like you said have spares left over also. 👍

Return to “Techie Stuff”