throttle

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

chytchoo
Apprentice Bongonaut

throttle

Post by chytchoo » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:33 pm

I have a 96 diesel 2,5 turbo

When throttle applied there is a little increase in revs, which doesn't then continue, The engine starts almost first time. Initial idles smoothly. After a few minutes it begins to splutter a bit, recovers, then splutters again and eventually it will cut out. Will then restart with a bit of persuasion, then faulters and stops after a while.
Diagnostics:
ABS - code 11 front sensor... brakes presently removed .. will check again once brakes cleaned and refitted
Transmission: code 12... TPS .. voltage/resistance checked.. all fine.. codes cleared and relearn procedure used..TPS code no longer appears.. but problem not resolved..
Oddly on this model the diag port does not have positions for checking engine faults.. where they should be are empty... and beyond the clear ports for ABS and transmission, Are 2 ports that should be for AirCon and something else... I have tried them in case.. and no flashing lights on the dashboard...
Where as ABS came up on the ABS light and Trasnm came up on the HOLD light.. Im assuming engine faults would come up automatically via the coil or engine lights Nothing happened..

Temp gauge not moving. though revs showing.. but wont go above about 1000rpm
Doesnt have a banjo filter to clean out.. think its a later 96 model and not required.
Going to check solenoids geting voltage supply. But have heard them cliking so assuming they do

I am hoping it is a solenoid issue. Which is not switching over from start up idle to beyond as engine warms up.

Trying to avoid going into the pump just yet.. Is there a way to checkit without removal... the pedal mechanics are working, as is theTPS. have found the sensoor below that.. not test yet.. but was porperly connected..

bit concerned about timing belts... looks a bit of a job to inspect them.. any suggestions...

all fuses by driver checked... under hood all checked except for the big ones.. still learning how to test those...

air filter changed

fuel filter changed.. there was some old fuel .. to which I added additive and have topped up with 20lts of fresh diesel... as I couldn't find a way to empty the tank without having to take rear seat out and the runners to raise the carpet and access the top of the tank...

It did have a transmission and steering leaks.. both repaired and topped up... all fluids levels are good.. coolant oil etc...

sensor on top front of injectors.. is connected..

fuel gauge not working
horn not working
rear fog not working
will fix these when throttle working.

all wires and connections seem to be good..

I have another ECU to try - just in case...

SOmeone suggested cleaning out the transmision filter... cant see how this is connected to the throttle... and avoiding looking into transmission as no fault codes came up...

New to Bongos and learning fast... its a bit like revising for final year exams...

All suggestions will be explored,,,
Any ideas of how to get engine diag codes would be great.. the options on the port are very simple... and where all other diagrams show the engine ports they are not there.???

yours slightly frustated... why wont it rev?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: throttle

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:22 pm

Oil gets behind the crankshaft sensor and messes up the reading.. remove it, clean the oil out of the sensor hole and wipe the sensor face .watch out for the O ring. Worth a cheap fix try.
chytchoo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by chytchoo » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:54 am

Thank you ... a great suggestion... which/where is that sensor.... I will look it up.. just not one that has come up yet...and Im still learning the various names and locations of parts...
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:10 am

You may find these pages helpful shows all the part numbers and locations for most models!
http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/
If you look up the diagram number in the table top left (click the number) then the actual part number is the first column which can then be Goggled.

The sensor also known as a pulse generator is as here http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... o=.html#16
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”