rear bumper repair costs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

saracen

rear bumper repair costs

Post by saracen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:03 pm

In a ghastly two weeks last year, I managed to reverse into not one but two low walls... As a result I have a bumper that is crunched at both ends. The damage on the right is worse, with the lighting array damaged and the rear wing also slightly dented - this would need sorting out before the lighting array can be replaced.
I've had a quote of just under £900 to get it all repaired (not involving a replacement bumper, just reshaping and repainting etc). I'm thinking I should get more quotes but any thoughts on this quote? Is it in the right ballpark, could anyone say?
Thanks for any help you can give.
winchman
Supreme Being

Re: rear bumper repair costs

Post by winchman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Shop around as prices will vary
I would just do it my self but not every one can
You could save money by getting a used bumper
longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:40 am

With a quote of around £900 i would look around at a 2nd bumper £900 is not far from what i paid for my bongo.
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:06 am

Wheelquick in wigan are advertising as breaking bongos at the moment, i beleive they also links witha good body shop, may be worth giving Mike a call :wink:
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Send me some pics and I will give you an idea of prices. I train vehicle damage assessors so will tell you if they are trying it on.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:18 pm

I repaired my own bumper (twice!) with decent results. I posted about how I did it back c2009, if the post hasn't been deleted. Worth a search.
saracen

Post by saracen » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Hello all and thanks for your replies - I've been on the road (not in the Bongo!) for a few days so sorry not to have got back to you before. I was quoted another couple of hundred for a replacement bumper.
I am picking up the Bongo (it's been in for various other minor repairs) on Thursday and will post some pics then - Stuc thanks so much for your offer, I will take you up on it if I may. Mikeonb4c - I will take a look!
Cheers for now and thanks again.
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm

saracen

Post by saracen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:52 am

Here's the damage:
1) driver side
2) passenger side:

currently there is tape over the crunched bits, but hopefully you get the idea. The worst seems to me on the driver side where the housing for the light display unit is damaged; I think this panel will need reshaping or replacing?
Any thoughts very gratefully received.
Gill
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:12 pm

I would be cautiously optimistic about getting a v good result repairing that bumper. Is it just dented or has it split? But for it to be cheap, you need good DIY skills so you can tackle it yourself. Can't really comment on the light cluster/mounting as its hard to tell from the pics. Good luck.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:49 pm

I think mike is right a second hand bumper would be better as that one looks quite bad. It is repairable though.
The right hand corner will repair but to me looks like the rear panel is damaged as well as the bumper is creased at the end mounting points. To paint a 2nd hand bumper about £200 and to repair the car about £500 quid. Obviously i cant see the car but at £900 seems expensive to me.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:44 pm

There's a bumper on eBay (buy it now) for £99 & these guys prices are normally higher than average:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-MAZDA-BO ... _500wt_922
saracen

Post by saracen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks so much for all your help guys. Yes, the rear panel on the right is damaged, meaning it does not hold the lighting cluster well, and this would need replacing as well. I will get a couple more quotes, and even *think* about repair... It's good to have a price on a replacement bumper as well; might be easier in the end!
Thanks again
Campervan50
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Campervan50 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:43 pm

Hello all, on holiday and reversed into post damaging rear bumper and lights! Does anyone know of a good garage in Leicestershire for repairs to bongos please?

Thanks in advance
Jo

Ruined my holiday ...

Return to “Techie Stuff”