Offside Rear Rear fog lamp light intensity significantly reduced

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Offside Rear Rear fog lamp light intensity significantly reduced

Post by Safraneman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:52 am

" Offside Rear Rear fog lamp light intensity significantly reduced " - hence MOT FAIL
Any ideas where can I get a brighter red bulb or a red led one to for in my offside "reversing light" ?
the original bulb fitted is plenty red, but just not bright enough to pass muster
All the links from previous posts seem to have expired.
None of the current suppliers have one in stock
Really don't want to have to fit one of those dangly rear fogs
Vehicle stuck in a garage 20 miles away waiting for suspension parts so I cant fix it myself to drive it away from the Garage
Will fit flush ones later
Cheers 1995 Diesel
DAFT on loan
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Offside Rear Rear fog lamp light intensity significantly reduced

Post by Bob » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:19 pm

I would have thought any car shop.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/lucas-38 ... R6EALw_wcB

Pretty standard bulb, and I think the max allowed is 24 watts (from memory).

The lense is clear so unless someone has fitted a 5w bulb I can't think what is causing the problem.
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:26 pm

Many thanks, have acquired one of those red 21 watt bulbs, but apparently it is not fit for purpose. A dangly light will be fitted to pass the MOT, I am beginning to find some aspects of my early days of caring for a Bongo, a bit dim.
On a brighter note - looking forward to some peace of mind from the soon to be fitted Hadyn Alarms.
DAFT on loan
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:48 pm

Hello
I fitted a red led into my rear red reflector, which is very bright and did not facilitate the need to attached a seperate fog light.Checked with my MOT station as to whether it would pass, and they said yes, no problem as it was bright enough, funny but the DVLA do not actually specify how bright it must be, rather the height from the ground.
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:54 pm

Hello Roy, that sounds just the ticket
where would I get one of those red LED's?
many thanks
Cheers
DAFT on loan
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:47 pm

It's hardly any more effort to fit a flush light in the bumper rather than a dangly.

Mark out, heat plastic with a hair dryer, then cut square hole with a Stanley knife. I would probably drill a very small hole in each corner before cutting. :wink:

Edit: Found these not sure if they'd do it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TVHXLN2/ ... RydWU&th=1
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 pm

Hello
I bought mine off ebay, cost around £2. Bought a couple and wire it in via a plug from supply to light so I could easily replace it should it blow. It's been in 3 years now with no problems.
Mine just required drilling a 10mm hole in the centre of the reflector and then wiring up.

Find them 9n ebay listed under:
1/2/4/8/10x Eagle Eye LED Daytime Running DRL Backup Reverse Lights Bulbs 12V
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:41 am

Great thanks - unbelievably my supplier Autobits UK, who I have been using for twenty years could not supply the correct Lucas 21 watt red light bulb but, now through Amazon, are supplying me with these red LED lights - that's the good news

Just stunned that this garage, used by Bob or Rod (who know Martin, the absent mechanic, who is now off sick) a member of the Bongo facebook group, should have such a perverse attitude to this Bongo rear fog lamp which has not been failed since 2012
The garage is 40 miles from the owners home and would not have been used for the MOT and more work in the future - (which they will not be getting) - without this recommendation, having had another mechanic at another recommended garage not too far away, lie to me about being able to do a sniff test, fortunately his pressure test highlighted the failing top engine hose - well worth £85 to discover that - now I wish i had bought my own sniff tester - and probably now will, if we are going to run this Bongo any longer without changing the cylinder head.

I turned up in my ten year old Fix it again tomorrow Doblo 1.9Jtdi WAV having just had a frightening stuck throttle at over 2000 rpm leaving a set of traffic lights a few miles away from this garage, nearly ended up turning off the ignition. Foryunately the road widened into a dual garageway and I was able to avoid the car in front, and the lunatic in a BMW, who then overtook me on the inside in a 30mph limit, as he must have thought I was racing him!! Sadly this FIAT is now a step away from the scrapyard. 3rd time for this event, have checked the obvious carpets - but its sadly no longer fit to take my Mother and her Mobility Scooter down to London for her brothers funeral next week - such a shame -

When i asked the The senior mechanic, and I believe to be the MOT tester, he stated flatly that since it uses a throttle potentiometer, that could not happen, Well believe me, it just did. Have had two minor earlier baffling incidents of this runaway throttle,
he has since then treated me as an idiot and this chapter over the rear fog light seems to be his inapropriate response- just feel like I have been lemoned.
DAFT on loan
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:01 am

Mine is in the os rear cluster instead of the reversing bulb.... I purchased one of these when it blew https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulb-12v-20w ... SwT6pVzx-o
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:35 am

Good to hear you are now getting it sorted. The advantage of using the LED in the rear reflector enabled me to have both reversing lights functioning which I prefer. When I purchased the van they had some red tape over one of the reversing light lenses, how this passed an MOT regarding brightness I dont know. Aesthetically using the reflector looks, in my opinion very clean.
One thing the MOT will require is a switch somewhere on the dash with a light visible indicating when the fog light is turned on.
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:24 am

You can get an LED bulb that combines red LEDs to act as a rear fog light and white LEDs to act as reverse lights. The original single contact bulb holder in one, or both reverse lights, needs to be changed to a double contact offset pins bulb holder (Bay15D holder). This is quite a simple job and with some minor wiring results in the one lamp, or two if doing both rear lamps, doing the dual function of rear fog light and reverse light. I did both lamps on my Bongo about three years ago and have had no problems at MOT time, in fact the tester was quite impressed by how they worked.

The conversion can be done for about £10 a lamp, or a bit more if depending on which bulb holder you go for. Look at all the bulb holders they have as you might prefer one sort to another, being from Yorkshire I went for the cheapest which were only about £2 each but did the job ok. There may be other suppliers that may be a bit cheaper but I used Classic Cars LEDs and had no problems at all.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/produc ... fc60&_ss=r
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:03 pm

Got the red led lamps, thanks Roy
Got the MOT
dangly will be back in its box - soon
Cheers Andy
DAFT on loan
Bob
Supreme Being