Install/adjust alternator belt & pulley. 2.5 petrol.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Lewismcleod
Junior Bongonaut

Install/adjust alternator belt & pulley. 2.5 petrol.

Post by Lewismcleod » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi all, having to replace a disintegrated pulley/wheel tensioner for the alternator and PAS belt.on a 2002, 2.5 petrol.
I have the new part but cant get the belt back over without loosening/adjusting .... whatever needs loosening ??
Have no idea where the adjustment bolt is located. I've found info on how to adjust on other models but cant find anything on this model.
Need to get mobile again, any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers..
Lewis.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Install/adjust alternator belt & pulley. 2.5 petrol.

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:18 pm

There isn't a good diagram in the manual either its items 5 and 6 below;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Lewismcleod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lewismcleod » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi Geoff, thanks for your input, I have item 5... new.. looks like the item I am removing and I removed item 6 Allen key head bolt but none of this allowed any movement.. the belt shape in the diagram is slightly different from the profile of the belt I have. See Link for Pic. https://imgur.com/vFSiE4c
Thanks,
Lewis
Last edited by Lewismcleod on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewismcleod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lewismcleod » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:22 pm

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Does the alternator not have a tension adjustment as well, which perhaps you can release to get it back on ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Lewismcleod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lewismcleod » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:31 pm

I need to get Bongo up on axle stands to have a proper look, was just jacked up one side and couldn't see where to adjust alternator either. Didn't look much scope for alt to move in the required direction. Will get under in the morning hopefully for another look, rain stopped play!
Another Diagram
https://imgur.com/QO3hQQo
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Not sure that there is much adjustment looking at the diagram seems to have just two fixing points;
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Lewismcleod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lewismcleod » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi Geoff, Thanks for finding that... thats 100% the correct diagram and procedure, but I cant really make out where the adjustment is... it reads simply install new belt, but its way too tight to prize over. Can you make out from that info where or if there is any adjustment.. I'm flummoxed.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:12 pm

Nope I can't either! I leave the mechanical work to my garage, but leave them the manual as well, they do use it from time to time given the fingerprints in it ;-)
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Lewismcleod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lewismcleod » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:29 pm

I would leave it to mechanic, but stranded on driveway at mo. Anyone know a bongo mech in the chichester area who does call outs ?
Lewismcleod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lewismcleod » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:11 am

Update.. Thanks Geoff that diagram and procedure was spot on ! To release the tension and enable belt to go on, a clockwise lever force has to be applied to the 17mm nut securing the tensioner and this pivots the wheel down with just enough deflection for the belt to flip over with fingers. Initially I was applying more of a radial force, and it wasn't budging, but with ratchet in 3 O.Clock position you can get the required lever to create the desired movement. (the other belt which had to be removed for access required an 'Anti-clockwise' motion)
However.... my moment of satisfaction was short lived :( On a test run belt was perfect with Alternator and PAS both working again, unfortunately the temp gauge is now not moving... arrrg. I'm guessing/hoping I may have disturbed a sensor or something while wriggling about underneath as I only had it on jack and access was tight, also putting splash panels back on I might have knocked something... That is if there is a sensor down in that area.. front lower area of engine? Does anyone know if there is a sensor located in that area on the 2.5 petrol.
Unfortunately I am working away from home until the following wknd when I can get back under for another look to see if something obvious is amiss.
All knowledge greatly appreciated...
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:21 am

The temperature sensors are top central there is a water outlet that contains both sensors
http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... no=.html#4 for the sensors

engine location 15-17Z is the outlet http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... 02.html#11
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Lewismcleod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lewismcleod » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:03 am

Magic, thanks again Geoff, very helpful.. I'll get on it once I'm back home next wknd .. ta.
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:09 pm

You will find that one of the pulleys is sprung loaded. That is why you cant see any adjusters. Put a spanner on the centre nut & apply leverage & you can spring it inward to enable the belt to be removed. Cant remember which ones but sure it will be fairly easy to identify. This goes for both belts.
This is also why you you cant find any adjustment for belt wear as it self adjusts being under spring tension.
Should be easy to see which one customer I've owned 2 V6 Van's & done the belts many times with reasonable ease.
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:11 pm

You will find that one of the pulleys is sprung loaded. That is why you cant see any adjusters. Put a spanner on the centre nut & apply leverage & you can spring it inward to enable the belt to be removed. Cant remember which ones but sure it will be fairly easy to identify. This goes for both belts.
This is also why you you cant find any adjustment for belt wear as it self adjusts being under spring tension.
Should be easy to see which one customer I've owned 2 V6 Van's & done the belts many times with reasonable ease.
Just looking at the diagrams they are pulleys 4 & 6 that are the ones that are sprung loaded tensioners.
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top

Return to “Techie Stuff”