Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Russell Jupp
Bongonaut

Temperature gauge not moving….

Post by Russell Jupp » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 am

Hello all,
just a quick question….
yesterday had a coolant hose split. No big drama, as low coolant alarm sounded,and I was able to switch off immediately.
Recovered home, and Ive replaced the split hose and bled the system using the see-saw method.

All is well. Front and rear heaters hot, bottom hose is hot.
But temp gauge is not moving. Except the tiniest movement downward when I switch on the ignition.
Ive earthed the single wire feed to the sensor….no movement from the gauge.
I'm guessing that by bizarre coincidence the gauge has died?

Any ideas welcome!!
Thanks
Russ
The key to life: Fast bikes, fast cars, fast women. And a Bongo.
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Temperature gauge not moving….

Post by Ian » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 pm

The temp gauge is controlled by the upper temp sender unit which sits up by the thermostat housing. It may have been disturbed, or even failed, while bleeding the coolant. Picture of sender unit at https://bongoland.co.uk/product/top-tem ... nder-unit/
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Lewismcleod
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Temperature gauge not moving….

Post by Lewismcleod » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:47 am

The EXACT same symptoms have occurred on my temp gauge! I was replacing an alternator belt and tensioner on Wednesday, and had to jack up and wriggle underneath to do so, access a bit tight. All was good with replaced belt once I took for a test run, but noticed the temp gauge wasn't moving except like you say a micro movement downwards on ignition. I was thinking I may have disturbed a sensor or something when working underneath or re-installing the splash panels. Be very interested to hear if you can locate the cause. Unfortunately I am now working away from home for a week, so cant get back under there until the following wknd...

Return to “Techie Stuff”