V6 petrol, oil pressure gauge.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

windywatson
Tribal Elder

V6 petrol, oil pressure gauge.

Post by windywatson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi, van is getting on a bit in age. And as the V6 would take a lot of work if the engine ever needed any major rebuild. Thought as well as the coolant alarm I'd like to fit an oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on general engine health.
So question is, has any one done this? I assume that I need to get a feed from the oil pressure switch area. What part do I need & where from. Have seen kits on internet sites, but I have no idea what thread sizes I need to fit this engine. Also where do I find the oil pressure switch I need to get the feed from?

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: V6 petrol, oil pressure gauge.

Post by teenmal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 pm

You will find the OPS in or around the oil filter . Thread: 1/8 "BSPT ,you can fit your gauge gubbins straight into the OPS position or fit a sandwich plate.if you have a reliable gauge personally I don't see any need for a light unless the light is multifunction.

Take care
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks Teenmal,
Does the engine managment system require any information about engine temprature via this sensor? If not I can see that removing the sensor would free up a location point to take the oil pressure from. The other method mentioned was to fit a sanswitch plate, how do I know what size/fitment I require.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
WestyK
Bongolier

Post by WestyK » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:54 pm

What you need is a T Adaptor.
Loads if them available with all sorts of thread sizes. some examples here.
https://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/ga ... s-fittings

Then you can keep the light and have a gauge. This is the normal way of doing it and personally I would always keep the warning light as well as you need the instant warning if you lose pressure not just when you look at the gauge. If the engine runs for more than a few mins with oil pressure low enough to light the warning light the damage is already done, especial if the engine is under load.

When I fitted one on my diesel Bongo I used one of these so that the sender was remote as there wasn't a lot of room.
https://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/ga ... -piece-kit
Also have one on my race car and its been faultless for years.

As per teenmal other option is sandwich plate if you have room but i thought these were normally for Oil temp senders. Don't quote me on that though.

Hope this helps
Ian

Return to “Techie Stuff”