ABS Light on

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Katka
Bongolier

Re: ABS Light on

Post by Katka » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:43 pm

This is an electronic translation of Cutlass's post https://mikrob.ru/viewtopic.php?t=38696

Recently about the dismantling of the installation of the front suspension had a broken ABS sensor.
Of course it's possible to drive without ABS(summer after all) to look for possible contract , but it stuck, and that we are not born yesterday.It was decided to make yourself.
The broken sensor was extracted from the seats, cut inside the coil with a magnetic core,the coil wire is wound to the limit.The wire is small, the measurements showed 0.05 mm. at hand was not of this size was only 0,063 which was successfully wound consists of approximately 7500 turns.Coil resistance was 1.48 Kω , what is included in the limits specified in the manual of 1.4 and 1.8 Ohms.Then the coil was installed in the sensor housing , soldered to the connectors.Around the coil was constructed of "planking" literally improvised, used a suitable diameter of PVC tube and the whole structure was filled with epoxy resin, after curing, the resin tube is removed and the sensor is processed by the file to the appropriate dimensions.That's all.Complexity of work : razgovarivayu sensor 1 hours (with smoke breaks), search and the winding wire 1 hour Assembly 1 hour + time for setting the adhesive.
The sensor is installed at the location according to the manual, the light on the dash goes out, ABS works (in the absence of ice was checked on the road unpaved). It may be causing the information will be useful to someone.Photo attached

Image Image Image
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:01 pm

thank you! tomorrow i try find OEM of that and try find "alternative" in UK......
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:54 am

I am sorry - but I dont find "lowcost sensor" - sale only original OEM s09v4373xd https://mazda.epcdata.ru/bongo_friendee ... etSearch=1

but many people used the crankshaft position sensor for that.....price more less!

may be look ABS-sensor from mazda 626? https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/ABS-Sens ... eLevelAB=5

or mazda B3000 https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... eLevelAB=5
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Good man, knew you’d come up with something for us to work on =D>
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:33 pm

fore remove "wery rust parts" - I use WD40 and air heater fan (use for welding plastic) or mapp-gas lighter Image
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:38 pm

I've had another quick test. I got someone else to hold the multimeter whilst I wiggled the wires etc. to check if there was a break, but it was constantly an open circuit with no resistance reading at all.

So it looks like my options are...

Buy a 2nd hand hub with ABS Sensor attached and change it over (Does this require any special tools, or does it pose any potential problems?)

Buy a new sensor and destroy the old one removing it.
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:51 pm

you want change hand hub? dont undestand! you have only dont work ABS-sensor///change him! why probem? :?:
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:16 pm

cutlass wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:51 pm you want change hand hub? dont undestand! you have only dont work ABS-sensor///change him! why probem? :?:

It looks like the sensor is normally destroyed whilst removing. I could destroy the sensor and fit a brand new one but that will cost around £200 for a new ABS sensor. My other option is to buy a second hand hub with a 2nd hand sensor already fitted in it. Then swap this over.

Personally I'd prefer to just change the sensor but I'd rather not spend £200 right now!
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:36 pm

you wery-wery need ABS-function? may be dont put ABS- sensor and try finde "alternative sensor"? my bongo dont have ABS - but I dont worry :?:
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:48 pm

I wouldn't be that worried myself, however I presume it would affect the insurance in the case of an accident. It also won't pass its mot test with the light on.

I also worry about putting my young children in it with a breaking fault.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:55 pm

plonkatronix wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:53 pm just to add my pennies worth, Most of the time with such a basic thing it is normally the cable that fails before the coil (especially the fronts), if on a budget you can splice a new TV aerial lead (50ohm coax), did this on my front one and has been like it for 5 years (other car)
Was tempted to cut the wires off an inch away from the sensor and test there. If it still does open circuit then I can assume the sensor wiring has broken inside the coil. If it shows some resistance then I can splice a new cable in.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:39 pm

Well I cut the sheath back on the wire and tested the continuity which was good. :( so not the wiring this time.

I figured I might as well remove the sensor. The three bolts holding the cable and the sensor in place came off easily. Once removed it was evident that the top part of the sensor was a bit loose and it pulled up snapping one connection inside. The other connection was already broken. It looks like water has collected next to the sensor and slowly crept under and rusted through the connection inside the sensor. I have destroyed the rest of the sensor removing it but it is now ready for a replacement.

So just need to find a suitable cheap enough replacement.

The sensor just had the following code written on it:

Nippon ABS
9F3
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm sure there must be another ABS sensor which could be used instead but I think finding one is going to be tricky!

Nippon 9F3 doesn't seem to yield any results.

Struggling to find anything further.

Anyone got any ideas that aren't going to cost me £200!?
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:05 pm

I've not seen an ABS sensor before, so would be interested in seeing a photo....... but assuming it's like the photo's before but inside some sort of protection tube and the wiring has 'gone', I wonder if it would be possible to rewind it, like in the earlier translated post. I've had an hi-fi loudspeaker rewound and cost about £30 instead of a new one supposedly at £400! - A speaker has similar copper wire and I'd guess a tech can match the resistance????? Maybe a chat with a speaker repairer could pay off????? His name was Mike Laister - in York. Just a lateral thought.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks for the thought but I literally destroyed it to get the remains out! There was a magnet through the core which I snapped. The casing is pretty much destroyed.

There doesn't look to be that much to them but there isn't enough left to repair.

Return to “Techie Stuff”