Electric blind switch issue

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

meplus5c
Junior Bongonaut

Electric blind switch issue

Post by meplus5c » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:04 am

Hi.

My electric blinds all work from their individual switches but not from the switches on the dashboard. Is this likely to be a fuse issue or a problem with the switches themselves?

I've had a look at the fusebox guide and am assuming (maybe wrongly) that if it was the fuses then the blinds wouldn't work at all.

I'm a complete beginner to this sort of stuff so any guidance before I start randomly taking stuff apart would be great. Thank you.

Helen
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Electric blind switch issue

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:10 am

No simply dirty switches, the exposed contacts will have tarnished as they don't get used that much.

You can often get them working simply by operating them lots of times on a temporary basis, as the contacts touch they have a small amount of self-cleaning action built in (rubbing) to help them stay clean, but left un-operated for a long time and they will tarnish and need cleaning.

Its best to remove the switches disassemble them and use decent contact cleaner (not WD40) to clean them.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:32 pm

g8dhe wrote:No simply dirty switches, the exposed contacts will have tarnished as they don't get used that much.

You can often get them working simply by operating them lots of times on a temporary basis, as the contacts touch they have a small amount of self-cleaning action built in (rubbing) to help them stay clean, but left un-operated for a long time and they will tarnish and need cleaning.

Its best to remove the switches disassemble them and use decent contact cleaner (not WD40) to clean them.
Cleaned mine, and the AFT switch, using Comma contact cleaner sprayed onto cotton bud stick. Lots of grime came off, gleaming metal, now working perfectly:-)
meplus5c
Junior Bongonaut

Post by meplus5c » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks. I just bought some contact cleaner so I'll have a go this weekend. My aft switch works to open the roof but won't close it unless you press it a lot so I'll clean all three.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
meplus5c
Junior Bongonaut

Post by meplus5c » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks for the advice. I cleaned all three switches today and they work perfectly. It took about 20 minutes, 10 of which was trying to get the aft switch out.

Return to “Techie Stuff”