DID I TELL YOU ABOUT MY DAY

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

ELZE
Supreme Being

DID I TELL YOU ABOUT MY DAY

Post by ELZE » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:21 pm

Friday I had a mother of all days. I was on a two week assignment in Powys, by god the roads are difficult. Anyway I was on my way to work 6am on the upper Dolfor road, (I mention that for any locals who may be tuning in!) when BANG I have a rear flat tyre. LPG so no spare I rush to the glove box for a can of emergency inflator but the tyre is like shredded wheat :roll: Reach for the phone to call work no signal! I am now standing in the road wearing very high vis trying to stop one of the very rare passing vehicles to ask if they have a phone signal on their phone?

An hour later one actually stopped but said that there are no signals to be had on this road but there is one spot a way back a couple of mile or so where she sometimes phones her husband :shock: So I start walking, three miles or so later I get one, signal that is and phone breakdown, work & home, walks back to van exhausted to wait the two hours I was told it would be.

One hour passes (its light by this time) but I am getting cold so I run the engine and put the heaters on. 30 minutes later there is an almighty hiss and steam is coming from under the bonnet and water running down the road :shock: :x :cry:

Breakdown vehicle arrives takes me to Kwik fit for a new tyre then they push me down to the Tesco car park as their insurance does not allow breakdown truck to lift from their car park :?:

Breakdown arrives again (same company different bloke) who then loads her on to take her back to local garage at home :|

I have been told the radiator had split on the top seam :? How can that happen I ask :?:

Is it a failed radiator or was it something more sinister ? I hope not [-o<

First off I have to say that Green Flag have been marvellous and are worth IMHO every penny especially when we ride around in older vehicles. They took all this in their stride.

Kwik fit are not for me normally but on this occasion I give them thumbs up for pushing me 250 yards to Tesco's car park next door.

Now I came home in a Vauxhall van hired for me by my client. Now I am not ungrateful but for a new van with barely 10k on the clock I think it was an awful ride!

I checked this morning and the Bongo has not yet been dropped off so should be there tomorrow. I await the verdict with some trepidation !

Anyone else had a day like this recently or historically ??

Just call me lucky!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
stuc
Supreme Being

Re: DID I TELL YOU ABOUT MY DAY

Post by stuc » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Oh dear Mike! Glad you got sorted in the end. Mine did the same a couple of months back, rad split around top seam. New one sourced from Advanced radiators at Lemington for approx £65 just fitted it myself. If you need a hand with owt, give me a shout.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:21 pm

Ouch! :(
ade33
Bongolier

Post by ade33 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:19 pm

Oooh that's not cool. I have the same lpg-so-no-spare issue too but I just try not to worry about it! I have also had excellent service from Green Flag, though having recovered my bus twice in quick succession, I don't know how pleased they would be to see me again too soon :shock:

Our radiator popped in the same place as yours and having replaced it and done the 'bleeding dance' all appears to be well. Hopefully yours will be the same.

I bet you're glad to be home though after that.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:51 pm

stuc wrote:Oh dear Mike! Glad you got sorted in the end. Mine did the same a couple of months back, rad split around top seam. New one sourced from Advanced radiators at Lemington for approx £65 just fitted it myself. If you need a hand with owt, give me a shout.

STU

Could have done with you on the day I can tell you. Anyway when I spoke to the mechanic he was puzzled what had caused the pressure, I have to agree so I bought the full monty (brand new rad from the bongo shop, new thermostat & gasket) the van arrived back today and is now being stripped. Now that I am not working for the rest of this year I am going to give it a full restoration and put back what the wind farms have taken out of it. Bottom respray booked Nov 14th )repairing the reverse bump I had also :oops: :oops: alloys refurbed (now knackered)

I am looking for a sunroof fitting is this possible? Also I am having the roof wrapped in silver to cool it down in summer (like an oven in there!)

you have PM ! :D
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:57 pm

ade33 wrote:Oooh that's not cool. I have the same lpg-so-no-spare issue too but I just try not to worry about it! I have also had excellent service from Green Flag, though having recovered my bus twice in quick succession, I don't know how pleased they would be to see me again too soon :shock:

Our radiator popped in the same place as yours and having replaced it and done the 'bleeding dance' all appears to be well. Hopefully yours will be the same.

I bet you're glad to be home though after that.

Aye I am and I am back until next year =D> =D>

In semi retirement mode now! I do hope it was just the rad, I mean running the engine to get some heat was working and I do not recall the heaters going cold at anytime so god willing it will not be anything else other than rad. Anyway I decided that no matter hat it is I will renew it regardless of cost. I have put about 65k on her in two years with my work so the odd overhaul is expected she is 14 now ! All that mileage and never missed a beat. Wow!
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:46 pm

Only comparable day was when garage screwed my engine up, I suspect he gave it to the apprentice to do and then sent me off knowing full well it would not even get me home..... XXXX !

Sorry to hear that. Just a thought... £65.00 rad, rads splitting ? Maybe it has something to do with it being very, very cheap. You always wonder don't you, the different between a £150.00 rad and £65.00
The shrewd part of you thinking it is the same one and someone is on the make. The careful part of you thinking one must be complete rubbish. Funny game spending dosh.

How often do you do a rad ? Might as well put a decent one on.

Yes those Brecon Beacon roads are rather remote my only experience of Wales, not the nicest place to break down. Well... nice scenery of course.. but somewhat more awkward.
ade33
Bongolier

Post by ade33 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:28 pm

I bought the AVA Leisure rad at just over £100 delivered I thought it was excellent value, and super-quick delivery into the bargain.

Beware the size of a boxed Bongo radiator, I thought they'd sent me a fence panel by mistake!
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:14 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:Only comparable day was when garage screwed my engine up, I suspect he gave it to the apprentice to do and then sent me off knowing full well it would not even get me home..... XXXX !

Sorry to hear that. Just a thought... £65.00 rad, rads splitting ? Maybe it has something to do with it being very, very cheap. You always wonder don't you, the different between a £150.00 rad and £65.00
The shrewd part of you thinking it is the same one and someone is on the make. The careful part of you thinking one must be complete rubbish. Funny game spending dosh.

How often do you do a rad ? Might as well put a decent one on.

Yes those Brecon Beacon roads are rather remote my only experience of Wales, not the nicest place to break down. Well... nice scenery of course.. but somewhat more awkward.
I agree and I actually I purchased the real I am for £300, as for the previous one, its a 2002 and I was the first UK owner so I gather that decision was done in Japan ?

Also that day I had has turned into two weeks so far as I am still waiting for some bits and have since found that oil is spewing all over the cam belt, I am not done yet :(
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:15 pm

ade33 wrote:I bought the AVA Leisure rad at just over £100 delivered I thought it was excellent value, and super-quick delivery into the bargain.

Beware the size of a boxed Bongo radiator, I thought they'd sent me a fence panel by mistake!

Yes it is rather large isn't it?
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Maybe the puncture was a good thing because you noticed the bust radiator a lot quicker than had you been on the move. Just a a little ray of sunshine :D to an otherwise miserable story :( . Hoping it all gets sorted. [-o<
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:46 pm

cmm303 wrote:Maybe the puncture was a good thing because you noticed the bust radiator a lot quicker than had you been on the move. Just a a little ray of sunshine :D to an otherwise miserable story :( . Hoping it all gets sorted. [-o<
well I understand your logic but the radiator bust an hour later when I was running the engine to keep warm waiting for the breakdown but yes it was imminent anyway. :cry:

Return to “Bongo Chat”