Bongo 4wd refurb *DO NOT DELETE*

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo 4wd refurb

Post by Bongolia » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:40 am

Presently sitting in a darkened room with dark glasses, darkened screen and LED lit keyboard 8) .
Bored stiff, I thought I would turn my attention to naming the new Bongo :wink:
I am wracking my brain to think of a fitting name for aforementioned vehicle.
I wonder if there are any of you out there in Bongoland with any suggestions?
All names will be considered. :D
There may even be a prize for the best suggestion so come on peeps don`t be shy I need help here!
Rita? :P
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:56 pm

The family could never agree on a name so remained nameless for 4 years, would be good if you did name him/her.

How about Phoenix, as it's rising from the ashes/rust?

(Is it too soon?! :? )
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Roo good one.
I would like to make it clear that although Roo is an investor in my other enterprise, no favoritism will be shown.
I hadn't envisaged this situation I must confess.
So all entries will be put in a hat etc.
ade33
Bongolier

Post by ade33 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:17 pm

I've started calling ours the Beastly Bus, but I don't think it will get management approval.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:20 pm

Boingy Bongo due to its bounce back?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:48 pm

I second Phoenix - great name for it.
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:00 pm

I wanted to call ours Stanley after the explorer but was over-ruled by my 11 year old daughter who went with Dory (i.e. the fish in Finding Nemo) as she goes on adventures but doesn't really know what she is doing...(my daughter thought that summed us up nicely :shock:)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:53 pm

Rusty Bin. Sorree, just flashed up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hawk eye. Instead of Arc eye.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:50 pm

Photo Bucket driving me nuts. Just posted up some more images and it seems to have dropped descriptions of existing images and reordered them!
Anyhow due to the underwhelming response to the Name Game I have taken an executive decision and called it....
Apache...geddit :P
At least for now :D

Anyhow the story continues.
I had noticed what appeared to be TIG weld to the outer sill cover, not noticeable from outside but apparent from looking in through the opening made for the A pillar access.
I cleaned off the outside and was curious as to why the repair.
With a camera looking down inside the screen pillar OS I saw three welds indicating that some work had taken place to the screen pillar as well as the sill.
All the jointed areas around the A pillar outer cover where then cleaned back.
At some time in its past a replacement A pillar outer had been fitted.
Nothing wrong with that but when your life is in the hands of someone else`s skill set then you just have to check it out for peace of mind.

I opened the screen pillar in an unobtrusive area to get a good look at the repair.
Whoever carried out the work was , thankfully, well skilled and the repair had been carried out correctly with staggered joints on the screen pillar, MIG plugs, TIG or gas welds to the butted sections and all with good penetration.

Old welds were sandblasted and treated before zinc oxide was applied .
The sill butt weld had suffered from rusting and would have been weakened so the upper weld was remade and the sill reinforced from the inside with angled sheet and MIG plugged. Because of the proximity of the B pillar box section the upper folds had to be done externally. This was done with six MIG plugs and a continuous weld around the overlap.
The external re enforcing will be covered by the plastic step insert.

The screen pillar was closed up having ground back the drip rail edge so that a step would be formed for the weld to "catch" the edges of the screen pillar and drip rail and then continuously welded around the outside. Internals will be zincked tomorrow once the rust treatment has gone off. Both these areas will be be leaded in later when I do the arches.

The images (or some of them) are on PB but whether they can be viewed or not via the existing link I dont know.

In the main bucket are some images of the space available once the rear heater was removed. I have dummied up the Propex in here and it gives you a good idea of the space now spare i think there may be space for the gas bottle if the box where remade and still have space above.
Let me know if the link has busted again.
Following Chrises tip I can now get them view-able in the posting so may start doing that if that`s acceptable to the moderators?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:29 pm

Not sure i can face vomit bucket again but will try it and see.

If i hear many more stories about bits being welded together i may have to suggest you call it Frankenstein :lol:

Gonna be great when its done mind you. :P

Meanwhile, i just fooled around with my google photos (i signed up to gmail and a google account some while back and now all the pics on my phone get backed up to google photos on the cloud. It was v simple to create a link to share a pic then paste in the link below. I think a shared album can easily be created also. Tell me if this works and is free of advert garbage. If so, could be a better bet?

https://goo.gl/photos/YCVptHPEW7enRMfL7
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:47 pm

I should live so long!
:D
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:51 pm

Yes it does work and no ads on the PC anyhow.
What is the maximum allowed storage wise, coz this could be a long haul/ :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:05 pm

Bongolia wrote:Yes it does work and no ads on the PC anyhow.
What is the maximum allowed storage wise, coz this could be a long haul/ :lol:
Good question but i've been taking pics on my phone for 2-3 years now and haven't reached the limit yet and pics are all on my phones sd card also if i should need to archive/delete from google. Main thing is getting the account set up then pics on smartfone are automatically uploaded. Don't know how you'd size and include pics in a post on here but does that matter really?

Here's a link to a shared album. It took hardly any time to create and copy the linkbfor pasting here (shows pics of welding i had done in the summer!)

https://goo.gl/photos/qUWLX1E5nwwe15ZS7
Last edited by mikeonb4c on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:08 pm

Sold, will give it a look tommo! :D
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:14 am

This has now turned into something very surreal, it's like you have picked up a different Bongo to the one I sold! Ours had some rusty arches starting to show through but otherwise looked in really good condition inside and out. We had it for four years and none of this came to light. It's interesting, horrifying and eye-opening all at the same time.

I'm a DIY tinkerer not a mechanic but through doing stuff myself thought I knew the Bongo well. Just goes to show. Also makes you wonder how bad others are that are out there, as I know plenty of others local to me that don't have anywhere near as much love, time and money spent on them as mine. How many are death traps?
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.

Return to “Techie Stuff”