2005 Bongo HID headlights flickering & cutting out

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

PeteRob
Apprentice Bongonaut

2005 Bongo HID headlights flickering & cutting out

Post by PeteRob » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:18 pm

We have a 2005 2.0 petrol Mazda Bongo.
It has recently developed a fault with the headlight main dipped beam only. They are HID Xenon lights.
One or both lights will intermittently flicker and/or cut out completely. They come back on if you switch on/off.
My local garage was stumped and is quoting £250 plus VAT for genuine Mazda bulbs.
The connections all look OK, so from what I can see online it could be a ballast failure - so far I can only find a Chinese site selling what appear to be the correct ballast replacement parts.
Can anyone help re the fault and/or supplier of bulbs, ballast etc for this model.
Many thanks.... this is my first post!
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: 2005 Bongo HID headlights flickering & cutting out

Post by Bongolia » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:21 pm

I dont know if this is of help or not as its anecdotal
but I had similar problem on my Honda motorcycle. The symptoms were almost exactly as you describe, after much faffing about we decided to go for the alternator as output was on the low side and hey presto problem went and never came back?
In the event that it turns out to be a ballast fault or the like then there are lots of aftermarket complete kits out there and that may be a cheaper option at the end of the day.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hawk-Trade-Ret ... 7675.l2563
PeteRob
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PeteRob » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:19 am

Thank you, alternator also suggested on Facebook group
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:39 am

does it get worse if you switch on high electrical loads like the heated rear screen & the blowers on full ?
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:56 am

Waiting on a new alternator from AVA, for exactly this reason, and not for the first time. I have had problems with HIDS (after-markets, admittedly) 3 times now: first was due to a duff ballast, the last 2 definitely down to alternator(s). The last alternator from AVA only lasted just over 2 years, ie out of guarantee, so hoping this one does better...

Derek
PeteRob
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PeteRob » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:59 am

nth wrote:does it get worse if you switch on high electrical loads like the heated rear screen & the blowers on full ?
No, normally most noticeable for the first few miles after start up I would say.
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:01 pm

PeteRob wrote:
nth wrote:does it get worse if you switch on high electrical loads like the heated rear screen & the blowers on full ?
No, normally most noticeable for the first few miles after start up I would say.
Could that possibly be because the battery is being charged more, once the capacity used by starting is replaced the battery places less demand on the alternator, possibly supporting the theory it's the alternator.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
PeteRob
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PeteRob » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:10 pm

Jimbobvfr400 wrote:
PeteRob wrote:
Could that possibly be because the battery is being charged more, once the capacity used by starting is replaced the battery places less demand on the alternator, possibly supporting the theory it's the alternator.
I've just had the alternator checked just now and its working fine. It seems like they are the original factory fitted low beam units, so suspecting ballast.
Struggling to find anywhere that supplies the ballast and/or bulbs if needed.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:42 pm

did you try these people?
http://www.hids4u.co.uk/

Derek
PeteRob
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PeteRob » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Dr Fingers wrote:did you try these people?
http://www.hids4u.co.uk/

Derek
Yes currently in discussion with them about replacement parts for the original units... fingers crossed

Return to “Techie Stuff”