Relay or fuse to glow plugs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Quincy MD
Junior Bongonaut

Relay or fuse to glow plugs

Post by Quincy MD » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:37 pm

Hello
I posted a while ago that my bongo wouldn't start. I have had a mechanic look at it and he thinks it is a fuse or relay fault. Using a probe he confirmed no current to the glowplugs and when he supplied a current to them it started. He checked all the fuses that he could see but still can't find the relay or fuse to the glow plugs.
Does any bright sparks know where it is?
Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Relay or fuse to glow plugs

Post by g8dhe » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:41 pm

There is a fusible link bolted onto the battery terminal which feeds the relay tucked down on the wheel arch behind the battery see Image for pictures of fusible link and the relay
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Quincy MD
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Quincy MD » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks Geoff, will I need to take the battery off to get to it?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:02 pm

It can be a bit tight, but check the fusible link first that more commonly goes than the relay but they can all fail over time.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Quincy MD
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Quincy MD » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:24 am

Hello
I changed the fusible link which didn't solve the problem so I changed the relay. The van started but it was a warm evening so I was still concerned that the glow plug were still not working. I tried again this morning (it was a bit cold) and it failed to start. The relay is working as I can hear a click. The electric inside the van are still not working either, no central locking or lights. Any suggestions? I'm a bit lost at where to check next? :(

Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:29 am

Do you not have a meter to test with before changing items ? Its cheaper!
They start from a £5 but I would suggest maybe something around £15 is a good buy, just make sure it has leads and if your going to keep it in the van maybe a case to save it getting to battered!
http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/diy/test-and- ... PerPage=24
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:33 am

Just noticed you saying that other electrical items are not working! Can you actually check just what is ans what is not working we may be able to diagnose the likely area! You say central door locking and cabin lights, this is pointer that the top left fuse;

MIGHT be the problem, but it could be a fuse higher up the chain as well hence which other items work/don't work helps pinpoint.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:14 pm

I endorse recommendation to get a meter. I used a neon bulb for ages but found that a meter with insulated probes is to solving electrics problems as X-rays are to doctors. Invaluable. Not even the cost of a round of drinks or a bulb change at a garage!

i notice from your earlier thread that electrics were involved when sorting out an immobiliser. So you can't rule out something tripping a fuse, even those hard to reach ones!!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Quincy MD
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Quincy MD » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks I might have to get a meter! I have a very cheap one that came with a tool kit but I don't' quite know how to use it. It has a resistor setting. I assume that I could use this?
The leisure battery is fully charged but the central locking, internal lights and the radio don't work. I disconnected the radio after it stopped working. There was a fuel cut off that was installed but I disconnected that after to as I wasn't sure if this was the cause.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:46 pm

Resistance or ohms or Greek omega symbol: use for checking a fuse when removed from vehicle. Dont use this setting on live electrics.

Volts DC (DC may be indicated by 2 short parallel lines, one dotted) : use to measure presence of power by putting black probe on a good chassis earth point and red probe on what you want to check. Should read 11 to 13 volts. So you could check power to the glow plugs this way. This mode is safe and providing the range is set high enough (20v) I can't think of a way to do damage!

Other modes it may have:
Volts AC (AC may be indicated by wavy line). Not applicable to car electrics.
Current or Amps or A or I: has to be used with great care. Avoid unless specifically advised. Never leave in this setting.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Quincy MD
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Quincy MD » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:11 pm

cmm303 wrote:Resistance or ohms or Greek omega symbol: use for checking a fuse when removed from vehicle. Dont use this setting on live electrics.

Volts DC (DC may be indicated by 2 short parallel lines, one dotted) : use to measure presence of power by putting black probe on a good chassis earth point and red probe on what you want to check. Should read 11 to 13 volts. So you could check power to the glow plugs this way. This mode is safe and providing the range is set high enough (20v) I can't think of a way to do damage!

Other modes it may have:
Volts AC (AC may be indicated by wavy line). Not applicable to car electrics.
Current or Amps or A or I: has to be used with great care. Avoid unless specifically advised. Never leave in this setting.

Thanks for this it is really useful. I was a bit unsure about sticking the probe on the eclectics but I might give it a go later.

Thanks
Neil

Return to “Techie Stuff”