Thermostat housing gasket

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cmm303
Supreme Being

Thermostat housing gasket

Post by cmm303 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:42 am

Many recommend removing the thermostat housing to make stat replacement easier. Such as in this thread here. This requires replacement of the gasket between the housing and block, presumably 15-165 in this diag

In the thread linked above Titan suggests getting the gasket from a Ford garage. Here comes the numty question. What do Ford know this engine as or should I refer to a specific model of Ford Ranger? or are there other easy sources?
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Re: Thermostat housing gasket

Post by Titan1995 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:21 pm

Indeed it is a lot easier to do this.

I just went my local Ford dealer and got one from a Ranger 2.5l.

Going to check back through my records, I should have part number somewhere.

Watch this space.
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:25 pm

I have a receipt from 2012 I believe the part number to be F3599718.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:01 pm

What a star! Thanks for digging through your paperwork.
Chris with BertieB
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:14 pm

cmm303 wrote:Many recommend removing the thermostat housing to make stat replacement easier. Such as in this thread here. This requires replacement of the gasket between the housing and block, presumably 15-165 in this diag

In the thread linked above Titan suggests getting the gasket from a Ford garage. Here comes the numty question. What do Ford know this engine as or should I refer to a specific model of Ford Ranger? or are there other easy sources?

To get the Mazda PN just click on the item number IE 15-165 in your case and the PN will display on the LHS of the screen.

And the engine is a WLT type WLTD if fitted with a Turbo.

WL0115165
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Just in case any 2wd diesel owners are reading this, changing the thermostat doesn't present the same access problems as on a 4wd and you shouldn't need to use this approach. (smug 2wd owner wot has dun it) :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Useful tip, cheers Mike. =D>
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:31 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Just in case any 2wd diesel owners are reading this, changing the thermostat doesn't present the same access problems as on a 4wd and you shouldn't need to use this approach. (smug 2wd owner wot has dun it) :lol:

You are perfectly correct its only a 10 minute job on a STD vehicle, but its is sometimes advisable to remove the housing for inspection and to give the inside a good clean to prevent future problems.

Good Luck.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:13 pm

rita wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Just in case any 2wd diesel owners are reading this, changing the thermostat doesn't present the same access problems as on a 4wd and you shouldn't need to use this approach. (smug 2wd owner wot has dun it) :lol:

You are perfectly correct its only a 10 minute job on a STD vehicle, but its is sometimes advisable to remove the housing for inspection and to give the inside a good clean to prevent future problems.

Good Luck.
I've not heard that suggested before. Unless there is reason to suspect a gunged up system might this be overkill? I'm just thinking its extra work and labour cost which might not be needed :?

Have to admit it took me rather more than 10 mins to do the job, and that was without the time I spent refilling and bleeding the system. I doubt a garage would employ me :oops:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:30 pm

I never had a problem changing thermostat on 4WD before. Decent socket set with universal joint facilitates access to the bolts to allow the housing to be split open. I seem to recall having to loosen the dipstick mount to make access easier for something around that area: could have been thermostat removal?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Simon Jones wrote:I never had a problem changing thermostat on 4WD before. Decent socket set with universal joint facilitates access to the bolts to allow the housing to be split open. I seem to recall having to loosen the dipstick mount to make access easier for something around that area: could have been thermostat removal?
Officially (stress that, and check as I'm only repeating what I think I've read on BF) I think the workshop manual says the front propshaft needs to be removed on the 4WD to get access? However, some clever b*ggers have managed to do it as you did, without removing the propshaft? :lol:

Either way, its quicker and more straightforward on the 2WD by all accounts?
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:36 pm

Go with Simon on this one. The key is to remove the dipstick bolt as Simon says and use a universal joint on a 9" long extension and access from underneath with a 12mm socket on the end. Did mine today and its a 4WD.
"Living the Dream"
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:11 pm

Can't wait .... well for warmer weather. Collecting everything together: 17 hoses, water pump, thermostat. Housing gasket on order at Ford garage for a couple quid. Still need to sort out clips and me bleeding kit! Now somebody has pointed out a nice looking V6 ... Aghhh the trials of Bongo love.
Chris with BertieB
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:58 pm

dont forget the fan switch, its a good idea to replace it as its got lots to control, glow plugs, cold starts, front fans, egr, all the temp related stuff. :wink:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mazda ... DrRr3VM%3A
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:52 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:dont forget the fan switch, its a good idea to replace it as its got lots to control, glow plugs, cold starts, front fans, egr, all the temp related stuff. :wink:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mazda ... DrRr3VM%3A
=; No more ..... please no more!! :lol: Part 18-840C in this diag? Bongo towers has 2 types in the shop: Top, single wire £30 and Lower, double wire £46. Which one? Ouch, double ouch! Guessing it needs to be done with the coolant drain/refill?

Now to message Haydn, see what we can sort out with these fancy hose clips (can't afford Mazda ones!)

I already had the 4 big diameter hoses and I am gob smacked how much this little job is costing in parts alone. With the above switch, there'll certainly be no change from £500 :cry: and I have not touched a metal pipe ..... yet. I'm 1/4 Scottish, but feeling the pain as if whole Scottish just at the moment. I'm sure a trouble free tour of their lands will be worth it!
Chris with BertieB

Return to “Techie Stuff”