knocking noise O/S/F

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

adscatt
Bongonaut

knocking noise O/S/F

Post by adscatt » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:40 pm

Ok so a bit of a different thread this one, I've been plagued with a knocking noise on the osf of my van for a while now. Well this week I fixed it so thought I'd post up my fix for others.

It sounds like a quite a heavy knock similar to the chatter of anti roll bar link but heavier, if that makes sense.

Slight play in the osf anti roll bar link when I got the van, so replaced it with a good quality one, noise still there.
Many times on the axle stands at home showed no play in anything when worked with a pry bar.

Anti roll bar bushes had no play but looked past their best, replaced, noise still there. Noticed when replacing these bushes that the osf one doesn't clamp the roll bar at the bottom (bush doesn't close up)so I replaced the clamps for the bushes, noise still there, gap still there, made an additional mounting plate for the roll bar to sit on and close the gap on the bush, gap closed, noise still there.

Wishbone bushes don't look in the best condition and cheap to replace so I replaced these too, noise still there but the wheel wobble at 60mph had now gone, thats another story though :wink:

Ball joints were new when I got the van so ruled those out. Noticed it was worse when the wheel was dropping into a pot hole or off a speed bump. Whilst servicing the other day and wheel just resting on the floor (very little weight on the wheel) I tugged at the strut and I had a small bit of play, hmmmmm, check the other side, which is quiet, no play. Found a used strut on eBay complete, fitted and hey presto, quiet. On checking the old strut, the top mount had a small amount of play and the rubber bonding cracking. So if you have a knocking noise check your top mounts, lots of searches brought up anti roll bars but nothing else. I am a mechanic so no labour charges, plus a mountain bike habit so everything is on a budget otherwise I'd have just chucked new strut assemblies on.

Hope this helps someone.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: knocking noise O/S/F

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:20 pm

was it the thrust bearing on the strut top that had failed. ive had one go noisey but this was on the nearside, put that down to crappy roads and running in the gutters. some people like to bash up a kerb to park. #-o .
adscatt
Bongonaut

Re: knocking noise O/S/F

Post by adscatt » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:38 am

Yes it was the bearing that had play in it. It's lovely driving a quiet van. The van is a rolling project, it's getting there, slowly. I think this year could be bodywork and hopefully a respray next year, funds and family life allowing!
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Return to “Techie Stuff”