front windowscreen pump replacment

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

southatlantic
Apprentice Bongonaut

front windowscreen pump replacment

Post by southatlantic » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi, how easy is it to replace the front pump, I have just received a new one. but not sure how to fit it. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
billymansell
Bongolier

Re: front windowscreen pump replacment

Post by billymansell » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:22 pm

If you don't have a leisure battery it's easy, if you have a leisure battery (like what I got) it takes a little longer.

Lift the bonnet and you should see that the washer bottle is held on with some bolts (can't remember if it's two or three). Undo the bolts and the bottle will be loose, disconnect the power to the rear washer motor at the rear of the bottle and the power to the front washer motor at the front of the bottle. Tuck the cables away as when you disconnect the water pipes or remove the pumps from their grommets any residual water will shoot out over the engine bay.

I found out that the two pumps are different - one has parallel pins and the other has pins at right angles. Put the grommet onto the new pump, fit into bottle and return it to under the bonnet before reattaching the pipe and power. It can be quite tough getting the pumps out and back in again so a little bit of brute force may be required.

If you have a leisure battery fitted then I've found the easiest solution is to begin the whole process by disconnecting the battery and removing the leisure battery and tray. It's a pain but only takes a few minutes extra work.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:53 pm

I've done this job also and seem to recall having to make sure the pump grommet fit didn't leak after reinstallation. It took a couple of attempts and some assistance. Can't remember what I did in the end - maybe a winding of ptfe tape? May be worth not reinstalling leisure battery until confident system is leak free. Also both my front and rear pumps packed up within a short interval. Could be worth fitting 2 new pumps since they're only about a tenner each off eBay. :roll:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:02 pm

andyb36
Tribal Elder

Post by andyb36 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:19 am

GEEZ - MUST BE THE TIME OF YEAR - ive just received my new one

theres 2 of them ' you say'

now why didn't you say earlier

:lol:
southatlantic
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by southatlantic » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks very much ....
Kern0wsan
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kern0wsan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:00 pm

I have had to replace the front pump as well. Was a bit of a shock when all the water came flooding out after removing the old pump, don't know why I didn't expect that! :)
southatlantic
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by southatlantic » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi have replaced pump, Their are two bolts that hold the water bottle in place. I found it easier to remove the whole bottle from the van. Just disconnect the pumps electrics and water pipes. The black pump is the rear pump and white is the forward pump. Putting the pump on. I put the grommet back on the water bottle, then put a little washing up liquid on the grommet, the pump pushed in so much easier. I then checked it for leaks. And then re fitted.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:03 pm

southatlantic wrote:Hi have replaced pump, Their are two bolts that hold the water bottle in place. I found it easier to remove the whole bottle from the van. Just disconnect the pumps electrics and water pipes. The black pump is the rear pump and white is the forward pump. Putting the pump on. I put the grommet back on the water bottle, then put a little washing up liquid on the grommet, the pump pushed in so much easier. I then checked it for leaks. And then re fitted.
Sounds good. Yes, I did the same. I did find though that the leak took a little while to become obvious, so just keep an eye on it. Mine had been on and off a few times due to a failed attempt to fit a 2nd hand pump, and this may have contributed
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:11 pm

its a tad easier to see what your doing if you remove the top screw on the side light /indicator and remove it and the 4 bolts that secure the headlight unit.

Return to “Techie Stuff”