Mysterious noise from behind the dashboard

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Mysterious noise from behind the dashboard

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Helen44 wrote:Haydn, thanks for your advice. We will definitely be getting an alarm if the Bongo survives, although it may not if we are going to be looking at £2000 of repairs.

The temp gauge never went higher than 10 or 11 o'clock (I believe that the gauges are not that accurate though?).

Even after watching the bleed videos you sent I still feel like I couldnt do it by myself without risking further damage. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place...our closest mechanics are not Bongo experts, and previously told us that they are not confident working on it (even though they would love to tinker).
I don't think they need to be experts as long as they are conscientious, follow the proper procedure and do it right. Definitely fit a coolant alarm. Personally I'd pay the extra and fit a Haydn alarm as they have a good track record and customer commitment.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:51 pm

The fact that the gauge didn't go above 11 0 clock is good news....this makes it more important to make sure you don't risk damage as you may be o.k.
How do you know the tank is empty? Was it just the stick dip? Can you see if there is any fluid at all left in the tank....? If the tank is totally dry then it is imperative you do not drive it until it is refilled and bled PROPERLY.....
IF THERE IS SOME FLUID LEFT and it covers the level of the two pipes that exit the left hand side of the tank, you should be able to top it up to the correct FULL level.
IT IT DOSNT COVER THE TWO PIPES .... DO NOT DRIVE IT...
Can you get it recovered to a suitable garage?
Pay to have it low loaded.
DO USE ONLY a garage who have done the bleed process before... Or get your garage to follow the videos .... It's CRUCIAL to get the bottom hose hot.
ALSO CRUCIAL is to find out why you lost the coolant in the first place and get that fixed first.
If your going to fit a coolant alarm visit the website below....these alarms were developed and tested by this club and are proven over many years.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Helen44
Bongonaut

Post by Helen44 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:14 pm

I'll go look tomorrow.

My partner went out to look whilst I was at work and dipped a skewer or lolly stick in it. The term dregs was used at the time, but he doesn't recall in relation to the pipes which you mentioned.

Our tank is very discoloured so it is quite hard to see actual levels. We had the system flushed previously by the garage that we currently have it booked in with (not naming names) but i'm a little worried about taking it there now bearing in mind the advice he gave me earlier.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:19 pm

If he flushed it in the past he must have bled it.....was it some months ago? If it was recently, perhaps he didn't bleed it and that's the problem....let's hope it's the former!!
Also BMW Clocks
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:30 pm

Haydn is not overstating the case here, and its happened before where a garage not familiar with Bongos has flushed a cooling system and failed to bleed it.

Fingers crossed for you. [-o<
Helen44
Bongonaut

Post by Helen44 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Bob, we have been taking our vehicle to the garage in question specifically because it was the nearest "Bongo friendly" garage to us. It is a garage which has been mentioned a lot (not negatively) on these forums, which is why i don't want to name it publicly.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:58 pm

If they understand the cooling system that's fine, and you're right not to name them as at this stage we don't know what has happened.

If they're a known Bongo Friendly garage you should be in good hands.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:02 pm

They may well be capable of servicing the cooling system of a Bongo....but...the advice to top up a empty tank and drive is fraught with danger and is bad advice.....if you did as they say and it overheated on the way to the garage....would they cover the repair cost or start arguing That the damage was already done....don't risk it.
Also BMW Clocks
Helen44
Bongonaut

Post by Helen44 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:05 pm

Bob wrote:If they understand the cooling system that's fine, and you're right not to name them as at this stage we don't know what has happened.

If they're a known Bongo Friendly garage you should be in good hands.

Yeh, it is a year since they did that work, so I don't think it is related. My main worry is that the mechanic told me to top it up myself and then drive it down to the garage, which everyone else says is a huge no-no
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:08 pm

Let us know if the tank is empty or still a inch or so in it. The fact that you heard it bubbling suggests that it either overheated or that the head or head gasket is goosed.
Also BMW Clocks
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:04 am

There is also the fact that you/someone was driving the vehicle with the "Hold" activated on the auto box, that itself will cause the engine to overheat.

I think in your case you best bet is a Call Out.

Good Luck.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:14 pm

I have had a PM response to one I sent yonks ago to Helen and made a suggestion of a garage I am happy with that is not too far away, they successfully diagnosed and repaired a turbo coolant leak I had.They replaced the small rubber pipe £5.00, flushed system, refilled and bled and it has been 100pct ok since that was 18 months ago. (Also did my cam belt and tensioner) And I will get them to flush and replace my coolant next spring time. I think they are reasonable people and on the Bongo garage list. Prices are not what I would call cheap but reasonable, and to have the bongo sorted by a competent is worth it in my mind even if they are not the cheapest. Don't get me wrong they were not outrageously expensive or owt but just reasonable.

When I had problems they told me not to drive it and they sent a bloke round with a lorry that the Bongo was winched onto and for a decent price. It was £30.00 or something to take it on the lorry. Obviously that transport price will depend where you are.
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:17 pm

That sounds good...but....don't risk driving there Helen
Also BMW Clocks
Helen44
Bongonaut

Post by Helen44 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:04 am

Tank looks empty except for a few mm near the pipes at the bottom. Not enough to cover them though. The top part of the tank has dregs in it which just seem like coffee grounds.

We called the garage which was suggested to us by Bongobongo but their expert is away until Monday/Tuesday, so playing the waiting game now.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:53 am

I think he will sort you out, good luck with it.

Return to “Techie Stuff”