Newbie bongo owner needs help

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Newbie bongo owner needs help

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:14 pm

Answer is yes.

Van/Towing will power the fridge (This mode is to run a caravan and its equipment while towing it).

Leaving the switch in this position will power the fridge in a camper van whilst parked, but from the batteries not the alternator.

I doubt the batteries have capacity to run the fridge for long and in this mode they will be linked.

I don't think with this set up it is practical to run the fridge from batteries alone, but others may think differently.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:31 pm

Ah that sounds a bit like a Zig Marque 1 panel. In which case you should have a Split Charge Relay under the bonnet linking the two batteries together this will charge the LB when moving. Leave the selector switch on caravan and your system should then work gone. You may also have a charger built in when using the EHU this will also charge the battery when static and plugged in
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Cattybong
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Cattybong » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks again. Sorry if I'm being a bit slow to intake this info. It's a marque 1 zig. It looks like it attaches to a fuse box and the leisure battery and I do have an electric hook up. If the meter reading on the panel only shows life when I switch it to the caravan picture, and this is connecting it to my car battery, and the cool box is draining this, what would I use a leisure battery for? Surely anything I plug in will take battery from my car? My dad has checked the cigarette lighter adaptor thing on the back where we plug in the cool box and when the leisure battery is switched off it shows no volt reading. Sorry I really am new to this.
Definely will not use the cool box when I'm parked but cab I use the water pump or do I always need ehu?
Sorry and thanks to :roll:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:17 am

Water pump uses a very shot burt of power, just don't worry about it.

Fridge draws big power continuously.

We're getting there.

Previous question, so we can help more are you in Cornwall or Scotland?

Don't have to tell us.
Cattybong
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Cattybong » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:06 am

Steady but slow,I think I'm with you. I'm in Liverpool. Been to Wales and morecambe so far on camping hols. The relay switch under the bonnet? Would that disconnect the leisure battery from my car battery? So when my leisure was full I could drop it draining my bongo?
Also I I do electric hook up would this mean it would charge and keep my leisure battery full and thetefystop my car battery going flat? Would it also charge my car battery?
So many questions, I apologise. Please don't boot me out [-o<
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:54 am

Regarding the Split Charge Relay (SCR) yes it allows both batteries to charge when moving, then when you turn the engine off it isolates the LB from SB and provided all the circuits have been swapped over to the LB as explained above, then your SB won't be flat in the morning, check to see if the circuits have swapped over!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Cattybong
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Cattybong » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:29 pm

Yeah I get it (finally) thank you. Erm just one more question [-o< my dad has checked My two batteries and they both need replacing, what battery do I need and could I possibly use a Nissan equivalent? M dad works for Nissan thank you thank you thank you
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:51 pm

many here use

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/M ... 0&cc5_1013

im guessing nissan will have one similar in size and terminals

but a leisure battery is a different animal

and not the same as a car starter battery
Cattybong
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Cattybong » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Was sb. Thank you :D hopefully will get all sorted that you for all your help :D :D
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:54 pm

Check out justcarbatteries.co.uk
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Cattybong
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Cattybong » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:29 am

Just wanted to say a massive thank you. My dad did a reading on both sb batteries and there pretty much buggered also I don't have a rely switch so definitely understanding why inept getting flat batteries. Thanks for all the info and help. Suppose only 2 weeks of owning a bongo Ive got plenty of stuff to learn but thanks again. Best welcome to any group I've ever had. =D>
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Cattybong wrote:Just wanted to say a massive thank you. My dad did a reading on both sb batteries and there pretty much buggered also I don't have a rely switch so definitely understanding why inept getting flat batteries. Thanks for all the info and help. Suppose only 2 weeks of owning a bongo Ive got plenty of stuff to learn but thanks again. Best welcome to any group I've ever had. =D>
Since you are splashing out, I would seriously consider getting one SB and one LB, putting in the split charge relay mentioned earlier and making sure all your camping/leisure circuits come off the LB. It will give great peace of mind that no matter how much you sup chilled Prosecco, read books, watch films, play music, charge phones, wash up, leave lights on, play with the blinds, etc etc you will be able to start Bongo.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Cattybong
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Cattybong » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks Chris :D definitely getting a rely switch. Think the leisure battery is quite new but I'll get it checked and going switch everything over. More g and t then prosecco but that needs to be chilled too :D thanks for all your help :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”