AIR LIFT

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ELZE
Supreme Being

AIR LIFT

Post by ELZE » Sat May 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Well at last, had my rear shocks renewed and fitted the air lift at the same time. It was not as easy as the destructions stated! The whole axle had to be dropped and springs removed as the air bags would not squash through the gaps :evil:

The ride seems more even and less wishy washy. definite improvement on cornering. We put 2 bar of pressure in to start which give it about a 2" lift. Now it has settled its only up about 1" and I am happy :D

Also I cured another issue I had a while back, getting sprayed during a car wash through the door rubbers and whistling noises at speed.

Purchased a pair from Mazda for an eye watering £190 took half an hour to fit and the difference is amazing no draughts, rattles, doors close tightly (sounds like a golf :roll: ) and of course no water ingress!

I will get some pics next week once the weather warms up!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Re: AIR LIFT

Post by Tony x » Sat May 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Yes - air springs are a great addition - wouldn't be without them.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat May 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Chuck the air lift instructions in the bin. No way can the units be squeezed thru the bottom of the springs.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat May 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Chuck the air lift instructions in the bin. No way can the units be squeezed thru the bottom of the springs.
Also Simon, the bottom spring seats do not facilitate the airbag valve as they do not have a hole in the middle on the 2002 model. I am unsure if the older models have it or again they do not know their bongo's from tom toms.

For that reason the air bags were inserted other way up as I unsure if drilling holes in the seating's may bring problems later. The valve is concealed just under the rear skirt next to the lpg valve. The way she is sitting upright on the drive looks a picture!

Next job front shocks but when its a bit warmer and less windy.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat May 09, 2015 11:16 pm

Mine's also 2002 but does have holes in the spring base on the trailing arm. The pipe then runs down and then follows the route of the brake pipes. The instruction leaflet is pretty generic and is only suitable to demonstrate the basic setup.

I joined the two pipes together and fitted the valve to the plastic fuel filler pipe cover and then made a rubber flap to keep the valve reasonably well protected from spray and muck.

weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Sun May 10, 2015 8:21 am

I know it's not as easy as the video and instructions make out but I managed without too much of a problem. Unless of course the springs on my '98 allow easier access than your 2002.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sun May 10, 2015 11:39 am

Well it was relatively easy but no holes in my plates :?: Anyway compromised and jobs a goodun!

Nice to see a clean underside Simon! My was like that 4 months ago until I completed my last turbine construction project across two farms, Now it looks disgusting with caked mud and cow sh*it.

I have another visit there weeks 23 & 24 for another two turbine builds then my holidays in Cumbria so I will power wash ad top up under seal coat back end of June and we can compare notes.

Return to “Techie Stuff”