space saving

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: space saving

Post by cmm303 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:01 am

adscatt wrote:... also considered are plastic boxes and plastic stacked drawers that can be transferred to the awning when we arrive at camp. Anybody use this system?
we use plastic stacked drawers (4 high) stood on a wooden plynth over a rear wheel arch. Whilst we don't remove them to an awning they are quite easy to remove. If full, best done drawer by drawer as the stacking falls apart. The wooden plynth sits on the carpet over an unused seat bogey. Screws partially screwed into the top of the plynth locate in the corners of the drawer stack where the rollers or feet would fit; this stops it sliding around on the plynth. Drawers and plynth are held down with a bungee cord (strap would look nicer) going over the top and hooking onto ends of the bogey (could use track). I did not trust the rigidity when loaded so tie the top to the seat belt runner use a toggle and thin cord through holes drilled in the stacks corner post. This is the fiddliest bit to do and undo! Finally using a hole drilled in the top of the stack i hook a bungee over the front to the plynth to keep the drawers in when on the move.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:52 am

Ingenious cmm303! The kitchen unit looks interesting too. Assume you sleep upstairs?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:16 am

My joinery is not as craftsmanlike as Simon's but its cheap, effective and thin ply makes for a lightweight carcass. I use this two section unit in the boot section. The top half comes out when seats need to go flat for the bed, otherwise it includes a pull-out shelf on which I can place the single burner portable cooker etc for picnic outings under the shelter of the tailgate. The unit is held in place by the DIY back seat hook-over headrests. The design works really well (click images to enlarge)

Under the bench seat I made slide in brackets (v quick and easy using aluminium stock stuff from B&Q and mounting using existing threaded screw holes under the bench):

...and then made a kitchen cupboard unit for all the crockery, cutlery etc that can be stored there and pulled out v quickly for putting in the awning. The whole thing moves with the seat.

When the various bits are removed, they make an instant kitchen in the awning:

The equipment is not intended to win elegance awards (though its not to tatty). But it is light, cheap to build, gvery effective and useful, and varnished (Sadolin) ply is much lighter and happier dealing with occasional damp and rain than MDF or chipboard (which I have seen used as a cheap option).

And I did indeed think of using that spare roof height above the rear seats but never got a round tuit and now its less important, with kids grown up.

8)
adscatt
Bongonaut

Post by adscatt » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Cheers,Mike, I like the kitchen unit, I was thinking of something like that for ours, best of both worlds.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:41 pm

adscatt wrote:Cheers,Mike, I like the kitchen unit, I was thinking of something like that for ours, best of both worlds.
Its a really useful unit, easily lifted out and put in the garage if not needed. I'd actually made and fitted the headrests before I even conceived it ((my then wife was unhappy about there being none). When I first designed it didn't have the pull-out shelf. Once I'd added that, the problem was stability/balance when weight was put on the tray. But in a eureka moment I thought maybe if I put a couple of fabric loops where it butts up against the headrests, then I could thread the headrest rods through them so they hold the unit in place. It worked better than I could have hoped and gives a quick to engage, rigid hold on the unit. Ironically , I use the top part more now for day trips and general storage as my partner likes to sleep downstairs and wants to keep everything as simple as possible, so we just use a single burner sat on a folding camping table and put coolbox, foodback and other stuff in the boot space. The bottom part of the unit holds 2 folding chairs, grip strips, breeze blocker and sundry other bits.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”