Engine won't start up. Air in Fuel Line ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Snoozie
Bongolier

Engine won't start up. Air in Fuel Line ?

Post by Snoozie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi. Happy 2015 to all. A bit late for greetings I know - I haven't been on the forum for a while.

My bongo (2.5 TD 4x4) wont start. Plenty of juice in a new battery but I can't get the engine to turn over. It had been going well before Xmas but then I didn't drive it for a couple of weeks.

Someone had a look at it in January where it was parked on quite a steep hill, facing downhill. The fuel level had got lower than I normally let it get because I had to drive home on Xmas Day when there were no garages open although it wasn't right on the Empty mark when I got back. I did wonder if that might have caused a problem so I first got someone to fetch me a can of diesel. The guy that looked at it said that there was some air in the fuel line. He got rid of that and it started OK and I went off to the garage to fill up with diesel. It started straightaway after filling up and was running well but after that trip I didn't need to use it for another 10 days or so and it wouldn't start again. Whether it would have been OK if I used it daily I don't know.

Might there still be air in the fuel line? Or is there a way that air can get in - e.g. via the fuel filter? I suppose there might be a hole in the fuel line itself although it didn't look perished in any way. Or could it be blocked with sediment perhaps after parked facing downhill, even though it was going well on the way to the garage and back? Any other suggestions for common faults that might cause it not to start up after it has been parked for a while?

I'd like to have some idea before I have to resort to getting it towed to a garage. I was thinking of buying a new fuel filter anyway first as they are not expensive and getting that fitted where it is parked to see if that fixes it.

Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Engine won't start up. Air in Fuel Line ?

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:01 pm

I'm confused - you say that the engine won't turn over and then go on about air in the fuel line :? :?
If it won't turn over, the fuel supply will have no bearing on the matter and there is either a faulty starter motor, flat battery or wiring problem :? :?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:10 pm

I guess that's because I'm no mechanic and I used the wrong term by mistake. :oops: Sorry.
I didn't mean turn over, I should have said it won't fire up.
When someone got air out of the fuel line, it did start up.
Then after being parked again for a couple of weeks it wouldn't fire up again.
Battery is fine, wiring should be fine and was sorted/checked when I had a solar panel installed, and the starter motor is turning over.
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Some fuel filter assemblies have a priming pump on the top while most of the ones I've seen don't as the Bongo appears to be self priming. Have a look to see if you have this plunger arrangement:

If the pump seals are worn then maybe it is sucking in air round the pump rather than fuel from the tank. I'd be tempted to squirt some Easy Start into the top of the air filter cannister to get it running so it can get enough suck to draw the diesel thru.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:01 am

Snoozie ,personally I would change/clean all filters and check the NRV (none return valve)on the suction lines. It sounds like your fuel pump is a wee bit weak.(auld age)

While you are checking the NRV you could have a pressure test done on the suction line.

Good Luck.

Return to “Techie Stuff”