Converting from 2wd to 4wd

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Converting from 2wd to 4wd

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:00 am

Wouldn't be something battery powered would it? http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... 7e8204d3dd
ev_dub
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ev_dub » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:53 am

kloonsy wrote:Would still agree with Bob. Don't build what you can buy
Definitely can't buy what I'm planning. :)
ev_dub
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ev_dub » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:56 am

Simon Jones wrote:Wouldn't be something battery powered would it? http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... 7e8204d3dd
Looks like I've been found out! :p
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:00 am

ev_dub wrote:
Simon Jones wrote:Wouldn't be something battery powered would it? http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... 7e8204d3dd
Looks like I've been found out! :p
Sherlock Jones strikes again. I'm trying to work out fuel cost saving electric over diesel. Also, the vw golf in Simon's linked forum is only doing 30+ miles per charge. This Bongo won't be wilderness camping? And wouldn't you want to engineer direct drive to rear wheels only for minimal energy loss? A regenerative system would greatly improve range also?
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:22 am

Maybe the Hybrids the way to go .. ??

For a 13+ year old motor the Toyota Alphard Hybrid is quite sophisticated .. with it's it's CVT Lecky / petrol 2 /4 WD drive system .. and it's ability to produce 1.5KW of continuous 100volt power .. more than ample to power a small 100v microwave / kettle when wild camping ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:37 am

As long as you go to campsites that are within the range of the batteries then just plug in on hookup overnight to get recharged :). There was a prototype electric Bongo many years ago which never made it into production.

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Yea, but that Nissan electric camper gives the clue: even with the best the industry can do, range is limited. A DIY Bongo job will struggle on that score. 30 mile radius is v limited, and wild camping is out. BUT the OP may have completely different uses in mind, though then again 30 miles then no driving again until charged, could be very limiting. Fun project though :-)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:45 pm

But what about leaving the engine in for RWD and having an electric FWD for everyday running around :idea: although the batteries would then take up a lot of cabin space
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Not wanting to sink anyone's boat here but once again the question arises,

What will the insurers make of the mod I wonder?

I have to agree that whilst it may be possible, purchasing the vehicle you want has to be the best option me thinks! Sell on by the other
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:45 pm

The oh so logical responses might be missing the point. Bastardising a fundamentally practical machine into something else perhaps less useful, but having loads of fun and phenomenal satisfaction on the way is :D brilliant :D and is no less useful than playing golf or painting a sunset. =D> . I am excited for Mr (Mrs, Miss, Dr, Prof, Rev) ev_dub :lol:

Still gutted its not going to be a chip van for muddy festivals :(
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi
Mikeonb4c...
I looked at the possibility of converting mine a couple of years back...I did post a link a couple of months back, but it showed only the CURRENT Ford Ranger kit...but for those who wished to delve, the company actually offer a large range of converter-plates, including the Mazda/ Ranger B2500 adapter...however, fear not, ANY adapter can be made if you look around...
The kit gives a vehicle with 100Km range, and costs a minimum of £4,000...BUT, you need things like power-steering pump adapters and hoses , brake adapters, batteries, 400 amp fuse kit, charge cable, charge box, heater kit...and so on....So...I could just about justify it if I could get another 20-30 Km range, otherwise it was a no-go...It would have made a neat vehicle, though....If we move, I might consider getting an electric vehicle for a shopping car...so much cleaner!!!...and ready to roll at the click of a switch.......I bet a mini-moke would be the Koolest thing!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Idris
Bongonaut

Post by Idris » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:49 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
....If we move, I might consider getting an electric vehicle for a shopping car...so much cleaner!!!...and ready to roll at the click of a switch.......I bet a mini-moke would be the Koolest thing!
Cheers
Helen
Try the Volteis - http://www.volteis.com/en
www.idriskis.com eco friendly skis
ev_dub
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ev_dub » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:05 pm

So I better divulge my plan before everyone gets too carried away :D

A few years back I converted a Vw golf to full electric drive. The Project was a success and delivered good Performance and reliability.
I drove the car daily 30 miles to work, plugged it in during my hours and drove it home.

I built this car as I wanted something quite unique and interesting: I also wanted to develop my knowledge of Electrical drive Systems.
The only downside to the conversion was having to own a second car for the longer journies. And a small Budget meant heavy lead acid batteries which carried alot of weight.

After moving to Germany a couple of years ago I split up the golf and sold the donor and Motor as a Project. I kept alot of the parts for a future Project! :)
I have been for a Long time searching for a vehicle which is the perfect compromise of a van and car and since the summer have I owned the Bongo.

The Bongo is a very versatile car and thats how I am going to Keep it. It wont have an only Electric drive System.

The initial plan so far:
Standard rear wheel engine drivien.
Front wheel driven by Electrical Motor coupled to a front Diff.
Small capacity high Output Lithium Battery pack for Electrical drive and electrical store for campervan requirements.

The Motor can be operated at the same time as the engine to assist in acceration and\or reduce load on the engine. The Electric Motor should be able to deliver over 100hp. and will have the advatage of being able to deliver 100percent torque from 0rpm.
The engine should also be able to run idle in neutral, when I choose to use electrical drive only. The engine is required to run the vacuum pump, powersteering, heating etc.
The other mode will be engine only driven which will also drive an additional high Output Generator to Charge the battery pack. There will also be an on board charger which can be plugger into any 240v supply.

So in summary:
Ev mode- short range or City driving
hybrid mode- for assist or burst acceration.
normal mode- Charge main battery pack for electrical drive System or energy for Campervan.
Independent 4wd System.
A Little more Research and planning is required first but I will start a new thread once I know the Project will go ahead :)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:47 pm

This sounds like a fascinating and challenging project and I'm really looking forward to seeing this as it progresses. There have been a few unusual Bongo mods over the years but this has the potential of being the most ambitious :)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:05 am

As a project this really is interesting, thanks for keeping us up to date. :)

Return to “Techie Stuff”