wrapping

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Graham
Bongonaut

wrapping

Post by Graham » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:56 pm

Has anybody had their Bongo vinyl wrapped
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: wrapping

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Not me. :wink:
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:16 pm

I am thinking of getting my front bumper wrapped, paint job on it is rubbish, it's covered in stone chips seeing a guy this week, it's not cheap £150 for a top job, the rest of my bongo is immaculate so it needs to be done.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Crabbies :). Not sure if the base colour is sprayed or wrapped but the logos are some type of stick on affairs.

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... es#p637098
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:09 am

Not overly keen on wrapping .. apparently the underside as to be in undamaged condition or 'faults' with show through ..

Some time back I was looking around B&Q for some kitchen units .. it was apparent that a lot where not real wood but they had been 'wrapped' with some type of film ....

On several the 'film' had started to split .. many had sizable scruffs from pushchairs and such .. all in all I don't think they would have a long life still looking 'as new' ..

With cars I reckon in an outdoor ..rainy .. car wash environment, water would soon find a way in and maybe lift or let crap get under the 'vinyl' ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:21 am

Hope to speak to the guy this week about this Mike, he does a lot of clear protective coatings on prestige cars, and claims to do clear wrapping on alloy wheels, bumpers etc, mine is badly pitted and I was hoping for a grey coloured wrap similar to the existing shade of my bumper, I will also check about covering chips dents and imperfections.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:31 am

The Crabbies one is completely wrapped. I've also seen a white and carbon wrapped tintop before, with Animal logos on ebay before but haven't got pics of that.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:13 am

Must say I have never heard of wrapping wheels ..

Being metal the 'old way' was powder coating .. most people who want some thing different with 'plastic' parts tend to have them dipped in 'exotic' films then sprayed over with clear lacquer ..

What they can do depends on the size of the tanks .. dunno about bumpers .. but most can do wheels at a minimum ..

Some of the effects can be stunning (some a bit bizarre) ..

This guy is a member of Bongo Fury and as recently started to do 'dipping' .. but I don't know how if his tank is 'bumper length' ..

http://www.firststopdecals.co.uk/

There are loads of videos on uTube showing you the processes .. just random ones of the top of Googles listing ..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=uTube ... ng&spell=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN4PS7ZJeYY
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Puma931
Bongolier

Post by Puma931 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:50 pm

I'm wrapping my bongo in 3M 1080 matte brown metalic. Prep is key as any perfections will show through (same as if you are going to spray). I should be wrapping mine in 3 to 4 weeks time.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:28 am

Decided against wrapping, as you say prep is key, my bumper is so badly pitted the amount of work required a complete rub down and spray would be cheaper,
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:02 pm

I think wrapping if fab and would love to get it done but you know what? when I look at mine and all that trolley rash, it's just not worth it as some Arsh*le will come along and not give a sh*t and just clash there door against without a thought or a glance.

Pity I was going to fo for Bronze!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”