Fitting spoiler..

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Fitting spoiler..

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:00 pm

as above, spoiler has connection on O/S (facing rear of van) for brake light connection, but my van has what appears to be a bit of twin flex coming up (I think) from the nearside cluster. It's been chopped off, so going nowhere..

Does the spoiler need a feed from the O/S cluster, or will this N/S wiring work, if extended across? Also the spoiler wires are colour coded, green and black, whereas the aforementioned twin flex coming from the N/S isn't. Do I just take pot luck? Don't want to blow any fuses..

Thanks for any advice. :D

Derek
Mark.T
Bongolier

Re: Fitting spoiler..

Post by Mark.T » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:44 pm

It's a good chance that the spoiler brake light needs to be wired the correct way around as they are a strip of LEDs. LEDs will only conduct in one direction, but if you do get it wrong, they won't blow, they just won't work. As for colour coding, I would expect one of the wires (probably black) to connect to ground, so just try buzzing the them to the chassis with a continuity tester/DVM/AVO etc.

I can see no reason why a feed from the NS shouldn't work, but I'd wait for confirmation from those that know for certain.
There's always a 'bigger picture'
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:56 pm

Only reason I can think of why you'd have wires coming from both clusters would be of there had been a towbar fitted in the past and it is the left & right indicators. Get a 12v bulb & check that one or other of the pairs of wires does receive power when you apply the brake. You wouldn't want to wire it all in & discover it flashes with the indicators :)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi
As already stated, no reason for 2 lots of wires...I'd trace the wires which are cut off back to where they're connected, remove them at source, and insulate them properly. The best way to wire the spoiler is to wire it to the O/S brake light. Do this before fitting it, and just twist the wires together using a length of old cables on the outside of the Bongo...If it works, label it all up, and feed a wire up through the rubber sleeve which holds the cabling on the Right Hand Side at the tailgate. It's easy enough, but time consuming, to drop a wire down from the hole that the rubber tailgate sleeve fits in...It may take a few tries with some thick easy to spot coloured wire, but I've done it a few times, then, when you see it, hook it through the rear cluster hole for the grommet, and pull the cable through...Might take a few attempts, listening for the cable
Good Luck
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”