Need recommendation for strong trailer hitch

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

twinrider
Bongonaut

Need recommendation for strong trailer hitch

Post by twinrider » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:59 am

Hi all,

I would like to carry a dirt bike on the back of my bongo using a trailer hitch with a tongue weight of at least 150kg. The ones I've seen on this forum only have a trailer ball. The one I need must have a 2" square receiver that will allow me to mount a motorcycle carrier to it. Like this one, which is unfortunately rated at just 75kg:

Can anyone recommend one of this type? I've seen some on Amazon for Mazda MPVs of the same year as my Bongo, but am not sure if they will fit.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim
'97 Bongo V6 AFT
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Need recommendation for strong trailer hitch

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:07 pm

No, Friendees were the only ones based on the SG platform - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Bongo
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Bear in mind the 'Nose weight' limit for a Bongo is 85kg, 150kg on the tow bar will seriously overload it.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:21 pm

You'd probably have to get one fabricated to suit your requirements and then look into beefing up the rear suspension with stronger springs and / or air spring assisters.

Also check with your insurers if they'd be happy to have double the manufacturers specified load hanging off the back. A towbar counts as a modification so you'd have to let them know about that.

Alternatively, small bike trailer with a standard towbar may be less hassle and you'd still be able to open the tailgate.
Last edited by Simon Jones on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twinrider
Bongonaut

Post by twinrider » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the plan would be to add air spring assists to the rear shocks, which would counter the extra weight of the bike.

Unfortunately in Japan trailers have to be registered and brought through inspection every a couple years, just like the cars do. And storage would be an issue. Still have my fingers crossed that there's a suitable towbar out there.

If there's not, I will probably just remove the rear seat and load the bike inside. Is there any DIY info for removing the bench-type seat on the forum? I did a search but couldn't find any.
Jim
'97 Bongo V6 AFT
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:30 pm

Very simple to remove bench seat.

Just pull off the 4 covers where it sits on the rails and undo the 4 bolts.

It will just lift out leaving the runners, slide these to the front. Bear in mind the seat is HEAVY.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:39 pm

the standard fit towbars available are only light weight/load. the real problem is where they bolt to the bongo chassis, the nearside rear standard support is only spot welded to the rear floor, most people use a spreader plate (comes with the better towbars) to help.
either way without serious modification i would not even approach the stated 85 kg guide.
if this spot weld starts to fail look for a larger gap between the near side rear bumper top edge and the lower edge of the rear light compared to the drivers side, as the spot weld fails it takes down the rear bumper as this is also mounted to the towbar mounting point.
twinrider
Bongonaut

Post by twinrider » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks for the additional advice.
Bob wrote:Very simple to remove bench seat.

It will just lift out leaving the runners, slide these to the front. Bear in mind the seat is HEAVY.
Cheers.
Does the middle seat remove in the same manner as the back one and are they simple to reinstall when the need arises?
Jim
'97 Bongo V6 AFT
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:15 pm

You can get dirt bike carriers that mount onto the kind of tow bar that has the towing ball held on by two large bolts. We bought one a few years back for £75. However, It's a huge strain on the chassis, especially given you'll be driving down some pretty rough tracks to get to where you ride.
I'd stick the bike in the back. You can remove the rear seats and unbolt the middle seats but tip them forward to get extra room.
I've seen folk fit dirt bikes in smaller than Bongo vans by removing the front wheel and fitting a little 10" one for the sake of wheeling it up the ramp and into the back.
Cant see why more dirt bikers don't use Bongos. To me, they're pretty much ideal. We do it and the air springs at the rear really help.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:21 pm

twinrider wrote:Thanks for the additional advice.
Bob wrote:Very simple to remove bench seat.

Cheers.
Does the middle seat remove in the same manner as the back one and are they simple to reinstall when the need arises?

As far as I know bench seats are the same, and yes, easy to re-fit. :wink:

I've only removed the middle one as ours has flip up rears.
twinrider
Bongonaut

Post by twinrider » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:13 am

Bob wrote:
As far as I know bench seats are the same, and yes, easy to re-fit. :wink:

I've only removed the middle one as ours has flip up rears.
Thanks for the info, and one more question. Can flip up seats be fitted in lieu of the rear bench or do they mount totally differently?
Jim
'97 Bongo V6 AFT
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:14 am

Hi
The flip -up seats can be fitted, but you'll need to get brackets made, and riv-nutted in, or welded...not a big job, and IDEAL...Remove the front bench, and you still have 3 rears with the flip-ups
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:12 pm

With a little imagination and some design + fabrication skill, I wonder if you could turn the unused seat runners into some kind of ramp system?
Beyond A to B
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:16 pm

Now that sound like a goer. =D>

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”