Saved by the bell (and a rattle)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dom_e
Tribal Elder

Saved by the bell (and a rattle)

Post by dom_e » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:26 pm

We've just got back from a nice trip to the Lake District / Yorkshire Moors, taking in lots of lovely sites and involving a lot of Bongo driving. The Bongo didn't miss a beat, but there's been an annoying rattle developing for the last 500 miles or so. I decided to investigate this afternoon as soon as we'd arrived back, unpacked and set the children wild (needed after a long journey!). Not sure if I found the rattle, but I did notice a bulging coolant pipe (the main one under the driver seat)!

The LCA did chirp a bit when we were setting off on a steep slope whilst setting off this morning and the coolant level did look a tiny bit lower than normal.

Disaster seemingly avoided!

So, I'm gearing up to get it sorted. My question is:
- DIY
- Garage

I'm a bit up against it time wise, so am reluctant to DIY it. However, I've not had great experiences with my most local 'Bongo friendly' garage, so I'm also hesitant to g down that route! Can anybody offer advice?

Cheers
Beyond A to B
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Saved by the bell (and a rattle)

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:50 pm

Unless you are a competent DIYer I wouldn't contemplate bleeding a Bongo.

If it hasn't actually failed it might make ADS in Bristol, or study the vids on bleeding. :wink:

Thinking about it I'm sure there's one near Caerphilly, or try the list in the Member's Area.
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:55 pm

+1 for ADS Bristol.....they did the same pipe for me a while ago.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Re reading your OP if time is the main issue it must be quicker to do it yourself than book it into a garage, take it there, wait until they can do it then fetch it back.

BUT You must know what you're doing with Bongy's cooling system.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:56 pm

I think it'd make it to Bristol (especially since we've just driven around 800+ miles). There is a garage pretty close where I used to take it, but I had some questionable exeriences and am now reluctant to use them. However, with full time work and two kids + summer hols, getting the bongo there and leaving it for a day or so may be a problem.

I have bled the bongo myself before, twice, and am confident I can do it again given the hour or so needed and pulling in a friend to help. The bit I'm most concerned with is the time and complexity involved with replacing the pipes (just ordered from AVA). Could any good, close garage do this bit leaving me to complete the coolant bleeding saga having driven 1.5 miles home?
Beyond A to B
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:00 pm

I wouldn't drive an un-bled Bongo a mile and a half.

Fitting the hose is the easy bit so why pay a garage for that, plus you still have to get it there, wait for the job and get it back.

There's also the issue if there should be a problem. Garage will say it's your fault, you say they didn't do their bit right.

I would either do the whole job or pay the garage to do it.

Just my view.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:46 am

Cheers for the advice. I'll look again at the access (which seems prettty tight) and sus out the best way to DIY.

Does anybody have advice on how to get to the pipes and the order to do the job in? Should I buy ramps to lift up the front end to work under it more easily? I did come accross a rather useful diagram of the coolany system in my searches, so I'll refer to that as well?
Beyond A to B
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:48 am

Pipes readily available from club shop, AVA etc. If you not 100% confident in tackling the job then it would be worth taking it to an expert and it may be worth considering changing all the main hoses.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:10 am

Good advice indeed. I purchased all of the main hoses and two smaller diameter ones as well. Still on the fence about diy or garage. I'm sure I could do it, but it's always a balance between time, money, & frustration factor.
Beyond A to B
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:48 am

Hoses changed by a garage. A trial run of around 5 miles, break, then another 5 back didn't flag up any problems with the bleeding. I may have found a new Bongo friendly' garage in s Wales.
Beyond A to B
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:10 am

That's good news. Keep an eye on the level as it tends to drop a little after it cools down post-bleeding.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:35 pm

We just had a great night away in the Bongo, which seemed fine on a good long trip (despite me accidentally leaving the header tank cap off, with it left on top of the leisure battery until we arrived. Talk about lucky!). It seems that Garth tyres and auto service can be declared a Bongo savvy garage in s Wales.
Beyond A to B

Return to “Techie Stuff”