Running wire inside roof board

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Running wire inside roof board

Post by Mark Elvin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:16 am

Just wondering if anybody has had any joy running wires through the roof boards?

I've turned my boards around & want to replace the interior light with a flip down DVD with integrated light, so obviously need to run some wires to it.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Re: Running wire inside roof board

Post by Tony x » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:04 pm

I did this earlier this week.
I wanted an electrical wire to go through one of the boards that runs the full length of the inner roof, entering at the hinge end and exiting half way down to power the light. I'm putting a second hatch in the roof.
Basically, I drilled an entrance and exit hole, pushed a load of metal cable into the cavity, making sure it was able to fit through the exit hole doubled over. I then put a spoke up into the exit hole using the little bent bit that goes into the bikes wheel hub as a hook.
Pleasingly, it hooked onto the cable first time. Pulling on the spoke brought the cable through thus having it running through the board.
I then superglued this cable to the inside of the sheath covering the electrical cable, pulled it through and, voila, the cable was installed.

If you install a cable, there is a chunk of foam around the little round hatch thing that will stop you using the above method if you want to run the cable past the round hatch. However, the round hatch is easily removed and this may allow you to devise another method to install a connection.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:16 pm

A useful post. Cheers. One thing I'm struggling with its removing the light cover in order to gain access into the internals. I need to unthread the cable to remove the inner roof. Do you have any advice on how to do this without breaking the clear bit of the light?
Beyond A to B
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:52 pm

Squeeze at the sides at the end furthest away from the switch. I felt like mine would break but it didn't as you need a fair bit of force.
The above applies to the later, slimmer light.
On the older light, I had to use a small screwdriver in the same position as you squeeze above.

One further tip. If you drill into the panel, for example, to remove rivets, before you seal it up again, squeeze some contact adhesive through the hole and shake. This will catch the swarf and stop it rattling.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks for the tip. Mine is the old style. I will give it another go soon.
Beyond A to B

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”