Burning Oil smell from 2002 V6 advice needed

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

upthebeacon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Burning Oil smell from 2002 V6 advice needed

Post by upthebeacon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi All,

I recently (around 2 weeks ago) purchased a 2002 V6, it's done around 70k miles, I'm the first UK owner. Seems to drive well but have noticed that particularly when I've stopped the engine and get out I can smell what I can only describe as a burning oil type smell. I've had a look under the driver's seat today and taken the following pictures. Directly in front of the power steering reservoir there is some oil (or that's what I think it is) on top of the plastic cover (not sure what it's called) and on the other picture I've taken from lower down it looks like the plastic cover isn't fitting snuggly against the engine. I've got very limited mechanical knowledge so any advice would be greatly appreciaited.

I got the car from a dealer about 90 miles away from me and it is under warranty for 3 months. Having never owned a bongo before I could be worrying about nothing however, I've got very limited mechanical knowledge so any advice would be greatly appreciaited.

Am hoping I've sized and added the pictures correctly.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/ ... photo2.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/ ... /photo.jpg
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Burning Oil smell from 2002 V6 advice needed

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:16 pm

The cam shaft seals are known to leak ..

On my V6 the seeping oil flooded and took out the alternator ..

I asume it was bought in from Japan that ay and maybe it was the importer who had put some oil absorber in the engine under tray ..

I put some oil seal / 'O' ring addative into the engine oil .. and not a drop as leaked out in over two years now ..

Why dealers do not change the seals when they change the cambelt in behond me .. unless they use the old trick off cutting the cam belt in half .. sliding the new one half way .. then slicing through the other half of the old cambelt .. that way the cam belt change job is done in a fraction of the time ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
upthebeacon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by upthebeacon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks for replying. As it's under warranty I have emailed the dealer, I'll see what he says re having a look. The difficult thing is that its almost a 200 mile round trip.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:52 pm

I used something similar to this .. cheaper than the fuel for a 200 mile trip ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Lucas ... 35d798539e

I must admit that I was sceptical as I am not (normaly) a believer in addatives ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:36 am

Take it Back, or get them to Collect it. There is a strong possibility that the Cam Belt has been Put at Risk.

Tell them that you are reluctant to drive it to their premises and want it transported or for them to drive it back at their Risk, it might sound a bit OTT but better safe that sorry.

Good Luck.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:57 am

I don't see any mention of the cambelt being changed by the dealer. It should be changed with the crankshaft and camshaft seals. The other common problem is the rocker cover oil seals but you would see them weeping on the alloy cover.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:42 am

On my V6 I have the reciept for the cam belt change from the importer ..

If the cam belt is removed / changed properly .. then replacing the oils seals would be an easy and relativaly cheap job to do at the same time ..

In the bottom of my under engine trays there was some oil absorber stuff .. it could have been put there by the previous owner (a Bongo Fury member) .... but with my suspicion of dealers .....??????
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:25 am

mikeWalsall wrote:On my V6 I have the reciept for the cam belt change from the importer ..

If the cam belt is removed / changed properly .. then replacing the oils seals would be an easy and relativaly cheap job to do at the same time ..

In the bottom of my under engine trays there was some oil absorber stuff .. it could have been put there by the previous owner (a Bongo Fury member) .... but with my suspicion of dealers .....??????

And knowing your opinion of Traders/Dealers I bet you just fitted new cam belt and seals as a matter of caution.

:lol:
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:16 pm

Have I mentioned then that I have a distrust of dealers ..??

But no .... I used some addative that softens the seals .. and they have not leaked in over two years ..!!

The diode pack on alternator packed up (again) a week or so back .. I half expected to be removing an oily alternator .. surprised that it was still clean and bone dry .. £20 later fitted back on and running OK. ..
upthebeacon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by upthebeacon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks all for your help, this forum was one of the reasons that I decided to go down the bongo route and I'm glad I did. Phoned the dealer this morning who said he'd gladly have it back. Drove it back cautiously this afternoon and have left it there. I passed on what I'd been told re the potential causes of this sort of thing as above. Assured me that his mechanics would look at the vehicle tomorrow and fix the problem. Also told me that if I have any problems when the three month warranty has passed that he would also take it back and fix anything (obviously there would need to be a limit to that time wise). Must say that I was reassured by this however will wait to see what is suggested. Thanks again.

Return to “Techie Stuff”