Ikea LED lighting blowing...

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

slowpolo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Ikea LED lighting blowing...

Post by slowpolo » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi there,

I've just been installing some additional lighting in the bongo bus. I had found some reasonably priced 12v dioder downlighter from ikea after reading on various forums that they are a goer for campers. So tested them in the house with the supplied transformer and everything was fine....but when in the van I managed to pop all 4! The leisure battery is sitting at around 12.4v so not too high.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Martyn
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Ikea LED lighting blowing...

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:17 pm

I've got some Ikea LED lamps and the seem to be fine even when the engine is running. Have you connected then the right way round?
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:51 pm

Are you running them using a constant currant supply? Many high power LEDs these days will need a device to run the LEDs at a constant current (I think it's called a buck). Check the original 240v power supply - it should specify if it's constant currant (probably 350ma). e-bay is a good source of DC-DC LED power supplies.

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3W-350mA-LED- ... 3a9234ec3a
Beyond A to B
slowpolo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by slowpolo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:37 pm

Simon Jones wrote:I've got some Ikea LED lamps and the seem to be fine even when the engine is running. Have you connected then the right way round?
That's good to hear they do work, did you use the set that is £20 for 4 lights? I can't understand why they failed, each unit I tested burnt out the first resistor (very smelly) within the light fitting when I connected to the leisure battery, then started working normally but I didn't feel confident using half broken lights after that. Did you use any kind of resistor to maintain a constant 12v? I had just assumed I could just connect directly to the vans lighting circuit!

Thanks
slowpolo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by slowpolo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:05 pm

dom_e wrote:Are you running them using a constant currant supply? Many high power LEDs these days will need a device to run the LEDs at a constant current (I think it's called a buck). Check the original 240v power supply - it should specify if it's constant currant (probably 350ma). e-bay is a good source of DC-DC LED power supplies.

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3W-350mA-LED- ... 3a9234ec3a
Hi, no I just connected directly to the vans 12v supply. Do these just fit in line with the light fittings?

Thanks
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Whether they need a constant currant supply will depend on the type of LED, but they would be a relatively simple thing to install (+ & - in and a + & - out). The original power supply should indicate if it's a constant currant type.
Beyond A to B
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:31 pm

slowpolo wrote:
Simon Jones wrote:I've got some Ikea LED lamps and the seem to be fine even when the engine is running. Have you connected then the right way round?
That's good to hear they do work, did you use the set that is £20 for 4 lights? I can't understand why they failed, each unit I tested burnt out the first resistor (very smelly) within the light fitting when I connected to the leisure battery, then started working normally but I didn't feel confident using half broken lights after that. Did you use any kind of resistor to maintain a constant 12v? I had just assumed I could just connect directly to the vans lighting circuit!

Thanks
Had my set since 2008 so they've probably changed since then. What I've just bought to power my TV and give it a constant voltage is one of these DC-DC converters. This is 4A which is probably OTT for your needs but I think they do a lower power version:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221335735094? ... 1439.l2649

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”